Cow limping close to calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruebush Shorthorns

We have a commercial cow that has started limping over the past 3 days.  She is close to calving but has not done so yet.  Got her in the chute this morning and got some milk out of her.  How soon to calving will cows start lactating?  I don't know if she has had trouble maybe already trying to calve or something might have caused her to pinch a nerve as the calf is getting closer to come.  Sometimes she will have her tail up as she moves around.  Any suggestions or previous experiences like this.  Called the vet and am waiting for a reply.
Thanks

justme

we had one cow that if we could get milk from her (she was a gem we could milk her at the round bale feeder) we knew we'd have a calf within 24 hours.  Good luck!

CAB

The comment about her walking around with her tail up throws up @ least a yellow alert. I would want to get her in and palpate her. If you feel comfortable fine, if not, probably warrants getting a vet to ck her out. Just as SKF in yesterday's post, calves that are breech can be a hard read, better to prevail on the side of caution than to be sorry. MO. Good Luck, Brent

oakbar

I think I'd palpate her to see if the calf is postioned correctly.  I'm probably erring on the side of caution, but I have had cows that acted that way that had actually been in labor when I wasn't around and were trying to have a breech calf.  Better safe than sorry!!

Ruebush Shorthorns

Vet is coming out after lunch.  Will let you know what we find.  We bought a group of cows at the stockyard during a dispersal.  2 of the 4 have calved and this one will be the third.  So far no problems out of the others, calved on there own to good bull calves.  Cows are commercial anhus and the calves have been black also.

braunvieh

I would also get her in and palpate just to make sure things were OK. Had a cow like that last spring and was coming with an ET calf. Acted strange for a day or two, had tail out a little and not herself. Got her in and checked, calf felt fine and in correct position. 2-3 days later she had a healthy heifer on her own. The limping I have also seen from the calf pushing on something. My dad had a 1st calf heifer that was practically crippled, we thought she got hurt somehow. Kept her in a smaller pen alone and when she calved, she completely came out of it! It was so unusual. She was like that for 3+ months!