Cow not breeding back??? Need some help.

Help Support Steer Planet:

keeton.ehrig

Well I have a angus cow that is one of the best cows that i have. She is almost a 4 1/2 years old and has only had 2 calves.  I really don't want to get rid of her because she is the type of cattle that I need for what I am doing.  Does anybody have any helpful hents that would maybe get her going again.  Some have told me that if you out a embryo in her and that does the trick some time, but thats all I have heard of.  Any thing would be nice.  Thanks in advance.

GoWyo

Is she cycling?  What is her body condition? Mineral program? Lots of things to consider.

LN

FutureBreeder2013 said:
If a cow isnt producing theres no reason to keep her around even if she is one of the better ones.

Well said. If her fertility isn't up to par then she isn't a good cow.

CPL

Obviously the first choice is to get rid of her.

HOWEVER, I don't typically advise this, BUT

On alot of smaller farms it isn't practical or even an option to just get rid of a high dollar cow.

The only way for you to really have a good idea would be to have a vet come out and check her along with reviewing the basics.

CPL

J/K Cattle said:
Some have told me that if you out a embryo in her and that does the trick some time

Just a comment on that. There is NO WAY that I would EVER put an embryo into a cow that hasn't bred back in a few years.

the angus111

I guess its how bad you want to keep the cow.I have considered it before.luckily I got her bred.rusty

OH Breeder

I would have a vet check her out. If you have access to ultra sound facility that also could tell you alot. Mineral programs are crucial for reproduction. Do you wait on natural cycle or are you trying CIDR and hormones. I had one that was cystic. I did a couple rounds of CIDRS  and hormones and she settled immediately. We have a small operation and everyone cuts into your bottom line. For our little operation one cow is high percentage.

excellent point in above point. do you have a good vaccination schedule

cowman 52

Could be a lot of things-- most of which are not the reason to send a good cow to town.  We breed nearly 5000 hrad a year and almost every month some cow will come to us with the illness "won't breed"  some time its timing in the insemination not all cows are on the breed 12 hr after standing,  a alot of the cows just have huge tracts which makes the semen travel farther  some have a minor infection and some mother nature just flat ain't ready.  Have a little patience and go on-- all this garbage that some preach about calving yearly and maybe 11 months is just not the way all goes.  after 2 calves i bet things will get straight before long ;)

CPL

cowman 52 said:
all this garbage that some preach about calving yearly and maybe 11 months is just not the way all goes.  after 2 calves i bet things will get straight before long ;)

Since when was the importance of calving intervals garbage? Sorry but I'm throwing the BS flag there.

Bulldaddy

OH Breeder makes some good points:  an Utrasound exam will tell you if the cow is Cystic or has other problems.  Also, providing minerals, good nutrition and overal health program is important.  If I can't get a cow bred in three tries she goes to town.  I don't care how pretty she is.

cowman 52

When you don't own but maybe 3-4 cows,  it does not make a lot of since to can 1 when a lot ofthe time the problem isn't a fertility issue but a management problem.  Drought,  heat,  feed and nutrition  have more to do with it than genetics.  heat detection or lack of and 100's of other things get in the way. We see a LOT of cattle come in with either low grade infections,  or some one DETWERMINED to see her calve in 10-11 months.  The same for demanding heifers calve by their  2nd birthday-  yes maybe she did but what do you have to show for it-  a heifer that is trying to raise HERSELF and a calf-  have a bit of common sense and be a bit less demanding on time tables that you alone can't control (clapping)