Cow slipped on ice...advice!

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATM OH

Had a cow slip on some melting snow/ice this afternoon.  Found her down laying pretty content but when she tried to get up she would struggle and slide around.  Finally was able to assist her by moving her with the backhoe and she finally got up.  She walked over to the rest of the group eating hay we had just put out, but her walk wasn't pretty of course.  Never had this happen before, is there anything we should give her?  Afraid maybe when she lays down again that she wont be able to get back up?

jcedvm

Is she carrying a calf?  If not I would give her dexamethasone.  If she is bred I would give her banamine.

CAB

If you can get her in by herself somewhere preferably on a surface that is not slick so that she won't hurt herself any worse by falling again and so that she won't have to fight the herd for fed would be best.

Jess

If she seems sore, banamine. Dexamethosone will induce labor.  Otherwise, if possible, sort her off and give her a few days of rest from the herd. Sometimes they just need a few days to re-gain their feet and get back to full form

I know we've had trouble with ice build-up around waterers and I've always tried to keep it as non-slick as possible. Good Luck!

ATM OH

I appreciate the suggestions.  An update on the story...I went to check on her right before the sun went down the day it happened and she had laid back down and wasn't getting up. We had snow and colder temps moving in.  I was very down about it all night.  The next morning we planned for the worst, but she was the first one up when we took hay out to them.  I hope she continues to improve a little every day, she is due in about 1 month to MAB.  She is still very stiff, but seems in good spirits and can basically keep up with the rest. 

AAOK

ATM OH said:
I appreciate the suggestions.  An update on the story...I went to check on her right before the sun went down the day it happened and she had laid back down and wasn't getting up. We had snow and colder temps moving in.  I was very down about it all night.  The next morning we planned for the worst, but she was the first one up when we took hay out to them.  I hope she continues to improve a little every day, she is due in about 1 month to MAB.  She is still very stiff, but seems in good spirits and can basically keep up with the rest.

Great news!  I once had a bull jump a cow on an iceie spot and broke her back. Glad your cow is improving

Carlson Cattle

your lucky she got up i had a heifer do that last year and she diddent get up. lost the cow and the calf  :'(

HavinABlast

Hope she comes along fine for you.  You say she is due in 1 month - just keep a close eye on her at that time in the event that she has had some injury to pelvis or spine or nerve inflammation.  If she is doing well in a few weeks she should be fine to calve out but best to keep a close eye - better safe than sorry.  Good luck with her!

Pleasant Grove Farms

we keep a load of gravel close by and dump that where ever needed during icy months...
whatever it costs, it pays for itself if it saves only one animal.