Cow Talk

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

After discussing the Bull Talk it got me thinking of what genetic lines have the longevity, productive, milking ability, breed back ability, etc etc. Any and all breeds. I'm talking about lines that have stood the test of time and not from a bull that just burst into the scene a year ago.
Examples: Dr. Who, Who Made Who, Steel Force, Meyer 734, etc etc.
Amongst most of our small herd one, bull that is in their pedigrees is Slick 50.

I guess I'm looking for genetic lines that are still producing in herds after reaching double digits in age.

Lewis_Family_Cattle

I'd say JP Jazz lines for shorthorns.  We've got two 10 year olds and a 7 year old bull, direct sons or grandsons, that are still out chasing cows like young bucks.  The cows' udders are great, and you won't find many as moderate, easy keeping, or stout, especially for calving ease.  My only knock is that they aren't the freakiest fronted, but I guess thats what the big freak necked shorty bulls are for!

BroncoFan

I've seen some Meyer daughters and grand daughters still getting it done in the clubby world even after age 12.

b_kackley

For me Angus- Traveler 6807, Rainmaker, TC Freedom, Paramount Ambush, and Northern Improvement
          Simm- Leachman 600U, Nichols Legacy G151, Redlight, Elligson Legacy M229 "Olie"
          Maine- Witchdoctor, Habanero, Chillfactor, Statesman

For me these are some of the best of all time in their breed for making cows and longevity.

Hodgie76

Horned Herefords..... Pure Gold  A bull that was way ahead of his time in the show ring... for performance cattle the Cooper and Holden Line Ones proven cattle for over 40 years........Polled Herefords Justa Banner and his son Enforcer 107H.  These bulls were use a lot years ago and their daughters stayed in the herd ...... In the show ring Keynote 20X he added growth and thickness,  many show winners today have some Keynote in the pedigree