Cow with knot on neck?

Help Support Steer Planet:

dhr

I have a 10 yr old cow with a knot on both sides of the neck in the same place. About the size of my fist. She has a 4 month old calf on her.  I gave a shot of penicillin. Is this lymph nodes or has anybody seen this?

ploughshare

Pen will leave a knot.  Disease will normally not show up symmetrical to the spine meaning she will have a knot on one side, but not both.  Are the knots opposite each other??

dhr

I gave the penicillin after I noticed the knots. She has not had a shot in 35 days since I ai'd her. The knots are not hard. They are kind of spongey. Does not feel like water in the knots. They are the same on both sides, placement , texture and size.

ploughshare

Slivers?  I would call the vet, but i do not think these are too serious.

Bulldaddy

It sounds like an abcess to me.  The way I treat these is to stick a 16 gauge, 1 inch needle into the center of the abcess.  If pus drains from the needle then the abcess is ready to be drained.  If nothing drains from the abcess then it is not ready to be lanced. To drain the abcess, just make a vertical skin deep incession with a sharp blade (full length of the abcess) alllow the incession to drain and flush it with water.  Then give the cow an injection of LA 300 or other suitable long lasting antibiotic.  If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself then take the cow to the vet.  If handled properly the abcess will heal with no further treatment.

nate53

We have had knots like you are talking about from injection sites, we have one in a group of heifers we ai'd now.  I know this knot is an injection site, some of the  sub Q shots seem to bubble up under the skin and stay for quite awhile, ideally I guess you would give the shot and rub the area for a little bit to make sure it spreads out a little.  All I know is we run them through and vaccinate or whatever and next thing you know they have a knot at the injection site, doesn't happen very often but it has happened.

CAB

Is the cow breathing normally, otherwise making any raspy noises? I think that you may need a vet to ck her out. I would almost guess that you are right thinking it is something with some of her glands. The reason that I asked about raspy breathing is that diphtheria will cause some neck swelling and usually some swelling in the brisket area. LA-200 is a good choice of treatment for diphtheria., but I think that  you may want a professional to look @ her if possible.

flacowman

it could definitely be injection sites, I have a bull calf that I gave banamine and nuflor to over 4 months ago and one of the sites still has a golf ball sized knot that is slowly starting to go down.  Otherwise I don't know what would cause symmetrical knots on either side of the neck

Sassy2899

It might possibly be lump jaw.  Cattle can get lumps on the side of their necks right behind the curve of the jaw bone, had a cow get it a couple days ago.  I would for sure talk to you vet as soon as you can.  Good Luck!