cow with very poor AI conception rate

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

We have a 5 yr old cow that we have had a successful AI conception only once (her first calf), We are a very small operation and sync and time AI our cows. We generally get at least 75-80% conception rate overall but this one cow has not caught the past three years. She is in good condition and always breeds to the cleanup bull. Is this common that some cows have a hard time conceiving when bred AI?

DLZ

C

cornish

not all that uncommon.. have a very experienced vet or AI tech check her out-- she might have a twisted cervix-- and whoever is doing your Ai work, might not actually be getting the semen deposited in the correct location. 

if you are timed AI breeding-- it's a very good chance that cow maybe not on the same Timed schedule as the rest of the herd as well...  Try breeding her on a standing heat.

Mueller Show Cattle

feed grass said:
not all that uncommon.. have a very experienced vet or AI tech check her out-- she might have a twisted cervix-- and whoever is doing your Ai work, might not actually be getting the semen deposited in the correct location. 

if you are timed AI breeding-- it's a very good chance that cow maybe not on the same Timed schedule as the rest of the herd as well...  Try breeding her on a standing heat.
Agree with his answer. I have 1 cow that just does not do well with timed AI, she has not taken a majority of the time by timed AI. But I put heat detection patches on after I time AI and if they come back into heat I AI 12 hours after 1st site of standing heat and she takes from that. I am thinking of trying the Heat detect and timed AI synch this spring.

firesweepranch

We have one, and use her for a recip. Her first calf was a herd bull calf because she did not take after 2 AI attempts. The next year she had an embryo calf for us, then did not take the next embryo the following year so we tried to AI her 4 times (we had no bull to run her with). Took her to the vet (she is a great cow, worth the extra effort), and he said there should be no reason she should not take. So we rolled her over to fall and put an embryo in her over Thanksgiving and she took it. When she calves this year, we will do the same thing; put another embryo in her but have a back up option of a young bull to breed her to. We will not even waist semen on her again for AI. Her first natural calf went on to win some big shows out here, so she has a great calf, we just need recips and since she does not AI she fits the spot!

Diamond

I have the same issue with a simmi cow, what I have starter doing is Ai twice during the same heat. Its seems to have worked

firesweepranch

Since we are small, we AI twice also on every heat, unless we are unsure of when she came in. We heat detect a minimum of three times a day, morning noon and evening. It might seem like a waste, but we would rather spend a little extra on semen and make sure we hit the window than miss the heat. It works for us, and since all three of us can AI, it is easy to do this at odd times. For instance, we had a cow on the AM check not standing, but the baby fall bulls were on her and trying to jump her. At the noon check, she was standing and jumping. So we AI'd just a few minutes ago (7:30 PM), with a shot of cystorelin, and will AI her early morning just to cover our basis. She was still standing, but no longer jumping in the PM. For us, it works. Our conception is usually really good, except for this last fall. But I have a feeling everyone is going to see a dropped conception from the fall. At a sale we went to last weekend, of 10 bred heifers/cows only one had stuck to her AI date, the rest were bull bred.