Cowboy- difference between Lut & Estrumate

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Cowboy- my hubby said he can always tell when I've talked to you because for a day all I say is Cowboy said this or that! hee hee!  Really learning a lot though if only the brain while retain it all!

My question this- what is the difference between Lut & Estrumate. You said that you prefer Estrumate over Lut in most cases & to use 1/2 the dose. Can you explain this further? Also you had touched on sometimes when Lut doesn't work as well. Any feedback on that?

thanks so much,
your willing pupil
Red

DL

Red - not Cowboy, not a clone of Cowboy, don't even own a cowboy hat - but here is what I know...

Estrumate (cloprostenol sodium) is a synthetic analogue of prostaglandin F 2 alpha; Lutalyse is the naturally occuring prostaglandin F 2 alpha as atromethamine salt - both have the same function and are basically the same compound but slightly different chemically. Both will cause the CL to lyse - some people believe one works better than the other although I don't think there is any science to "prove" that - but my thought has always been if you think it works better than that is what you should use....

Cowboy

Hey there Red -- I see you are thinking --that's GOOD ! hehehe

Bottom line for these two products --

1) Lutelyse -- a prostoglandin product derived from natural sources - those things that occur naturally in catlle.

Dosage -- comes in a 30 ml - "6" dose bottle -- thus giving you a 5ml injection per dose. Dinoprost Tromethalene (SP) is the drug in the mix.

Will at times cause the cow to fail to ovulate OR fail to fully regress the CL on the ovary due to over use or lack of repsonse. Most cows do work well with this, but over doing it will reduce the efficacy of the product some what.

2) Estrumate --  a prostoglandin product derived from "Synthetic" sources, in other words -- made in the lab.

Doseage -- this comes in a 20 ml bottle -- with "10" doses per botle -- meaning you use 2ml per dose in stead of the larger 5ml for Lutelyse.

Cows can not -- "NOT" - get immune to the synthetic formulation used here, unlike the natural form of Lutelyse.

Ovualtion will almost always be of a better , more rapid and full regression of the CL and thus result in better release of fllicular fluids and the supporting structures of the follicle. In other words, I feel it just works better over time and with many many cows. If you check the Cl's like we do in ET, the cows from the Estrumate induction will have -- on average - a better quality and larger CL. Of course there are always excetions to that rule, you will still get a few that fail to ovulate -- but there is always a reason. Some herds are better than others for stress reduction and nutrition, and this is no different -- the better job we do going into it -- the better the result!

Now that everyt one is fully and completely confused -- I will simply say that I prefer Estrumate in my ET practice every time over Lutelyse, some times you just have to do alot to see the difference, but it is a substantial difference over time!

Hope all this helps you out there -- tell hubby not to worry -- I won't intentionaly brain wash you -- at least not competely!! hehehehe

Terry

PS - - DL thanks -- you were typing and posting as I was typing mine -- so if there is a major difference -- all I can say is -- OOOOOPS

Basicly we think the same however -- and my comments are from years of use -- not totally scientific, but in house, it has been pretty plainly written on the wall over time. In theory -- yes they should both be the same!

red

thanks Cowboy, I was looking for your comments since you had been talking to me about it & had said some things that piqued my interest.
Appreciate all the feedback though.

Red

CAB

Cowboy, just so there is no confusion, you are giving 2 mls. of estomate, not 1 ml. correct? Brent C.

red

Brent- not sure when Cowboy can get back to you but I wrote down his notes. It's 2 cc of Estrumate to 5 cc of Lut.

I can send you the information if you need it.

your buddy,
Red

Latest posts