Cowboy or others: When to Breed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

I read a thread a few months ago and Cowboy had some ideas on when to breed that were real helpful:  I wanted to freshen my mind with the ideas as we are starting to A.I.

Scenerio 1: If Heifer/Cow is in standing heat first thing in the morning and she comes out in mid morning, breed her 12-18 hours after observation of heat?

Scenerio 2: Heifer/Cow is in standing heat first thing in the morning as well & come mid to late afternoon she is still in standing heat,  Do you breed her late that evening or wait till the next morning?

Thanks for any info,

RSC

Cowboy

The old AM - PM rule is sufficient MOST of the time for the majority of cows/hfrs.

Here, my rule is slightly different where as I don't really care when the cow STARTED , as you will rarely see her do her first stand. I concentrate more on when she QUITS -- that will be your main concern. I never breed a cow that is still standing or even trying to ride another one.

My rule is -- on both donor cows as well as natural A-I cows, I wait until they are completely done and are tired of it all -- then count several hours -- say 4-6 ideally. I realize that some times this may fall into the WEEEE hours of morning to hit this time frame, but let me say this -- I haven't had a single worry about gettnig eggs fertilized if I am willing to be out with the donor at 2 in the morning, and it does happen.

Natural heats will vary in length considerably at times. Hfrs are notorious for being frisky as all get out -- and wil just keep on keeping on for ever some years. I don't get excited, I wait till they tell me they are done, and then consider the time to breed. I am very rarely sorry I do that.

Sure -- I only have a dozen head of my own cows, big deal rght?? Well --- I would be out there at midnight if needed on a hundred head too -- if you really want results -- let the cows be the boss -- and not the bell on the clock.

All kiding aside, RSC -- the first hfr/cow that stopped standing mid morning would be bred late afternoon or so here, then the other one may not get bred till after midnight if she didn't stop standing until 6-7 PM. Every one is different, all in all though, you could breed them both at the same time and probably be OK -- one may be getting a little late -- the other one would still be too early in my mind but if the semen was top flight, she'd make it!

Hope that helps with the Am-Pm things -- if I see one start in heat at 1 PM, she gets bred the next morning mid AM. If one is standing at daylight and is still standing at 5  PM, well, I go have supper, watch the news -- maybe even take a nap -- then I go breed her. Patience will make more babies than anxiety!!!! hehehe

Take care -- Terry

RSC

Cowboy said:
The old AM - PM rule is sufficient MOST of the time for the majority of cows/hfrs.

Here, my rule is slightly different where as I don't really care when the cow STARTED , as you will rarely see her do her first stand. I concentrate more on when she QUITS -- that will be your main concern. I never breed a cow that is still standing or even trying to ride another one.

My rule is -- on both donor cows as well as natural A-I cows, I wait until they are completely done and are tired of it all -- then count several hours -- say 4-6 ideally. I realize that some times this may fall into the WEEEE hours of morning to hit this time frame, but let me say this -- I haven't had a single worry about gettnig eggs fertilized if I am willing to be out with the donor at 2 in the morning, and it does happen.

Natural heats will vary in length considerably at times. Hfrs are notorious for being frisky as all get out -- and wil just keep on keeping on for ever some years. I don't get excited, I wait till they tell me they are done, and then consider the time to breed. I am very rarely sorry I do that.

Sure -- I only have a dozen head of my own cows, big deal rght?? Well --- I would be out there at midnight if needed on a hundred head too -- if you really want results -- let the cows be the boss -- and not the bell on the clock.

All kiding aside, RSC -- the first hfr/cow that stopped standing mid morning would be bred late afternoon or so here, then the other one may not get bred till after midnight if she didn't stop standing until 6-7 PM. Every one is different, all in all though, you could breed them both at the same time and probably be OK -- one may be getting a little late -- the other one would still be too early in my mind but if the semen was top flight, she'd make it!

Hope that helps with the Am-Pm things -- if I see one start in heat at 1 PM, she gets bred the next morning mid AM. If one is standing at daylight and is still standing at 5  PM, well, I go have supper, watch the news -- maybe even take a nap -- then I go breed her. Patience will make more babies than anxiety!!!! hehehe

Take care -- Terry
Thanks Terry, Was just wondering if I should go by the standard rule of ater 1st  standing heat so many hours.

Very helpful!

Thanks,

RSC

OH Breeder

Cowboy,
HELP I can't remeber the dosage on LUte. My vet said give and breed 24 hours later. I am just trying to remember the dosage. 5mg/ml vile. How many CC"s?

Cowboy

The cow would need 25-30 mg's in order to properly reduce the CL and form a follicle .. Question, why is he telling you to give Lutelyse then breed in 24 hours ??? I find that comment hard to figure!

Normally a cow won't cycle without a Cidr, given Lutelyse only -- for 72-96 hours. Is there a reason he wants you to breed her in 24 hours?? Can't figure that one. Are you sure it was Lutelyse he mentioned, or is it Gnrh????

Well you were there I wasn't -- good luck with her any way!!! Let me know why he said that OK ?? Confused!

Terry

OH Breeder

Specifically said Lute. I said if you give lute when is the earliest you can breed. the response was at the twenty four hour mark?

Cowboy

I'll be darned -- well if he is sincere -- I sure hope he has some new wonder semen -- it would have to last close to 72 hours in the cow!!! hehehe

In order to make you feel better about this -- give her the Lute -- 5-6 ml -- and wait till she shows you some form of heat signs. At least then you will have achance, his way -- most likely not much of one at all!

If you do breed her real early -- might want to give her some Gnrh after you breed her -- you'll need it!

Good luck pard --  Terry

Bawndoh

Is there such a thing as waiting too long?  How long (generally) after the heat starts, do the eggs release??  Can they still be fertilized after they are released?  Are you better off to AI earlier or later?

GONEWEST

Terry,

If you want to give some cysterelin to ensure the egg "drops", when would you do it as related to first standing heat?