Cowboy

Help Support Steer Planet:

harrisonshowgurl

Hey guys, I don't post on here much but I thought this was post worthy.

I contacted "Cowboy" through Steerplanet a couple of weeks ago to do a phone interview with him about his career. This was for a project in one of my animal science classes. I am a junior at University of Arkansas. The assignment was to find someone in a career field you want to go into after college and interview them with various questions regarding their occupation. When I called Terry I had no idea what I was going to hear and if I was ready for it. All I can say is I LOVED it! He is very knowledgeable and it was an extreme pleasure doing the interview with him. He told me about his experiences and the good/bad in the ET field. We talked for about 2 hours then my phone died but I believe he was an excellent choice to do the interview with! I am going to try and make plans to head up to NE sometime and watch him at work for a few days. He did an amazing job on explaining why he does ET work and different topics within the field. I know everyone has their own opinions but if you have questions about ET in general or the career field I would not be afraid to contact him. It was an eye opening experience for me and very helpful!

Gargan

harrisonshowgurl said:
Hey guys, I don't post on here much but I thought this was post worthy.

I contacted "Cowboy" through Steerplanet a couple of weeks ago to do a phone interview with him about his career. This was for a project in one of my animal science classes. I am a junior at University of Arkansas. The assignment was to find someone in a career field you want to go into after college and interview them with various questions regarding their occupation. When I called Terry I had no idea what I was going to hear and if I was ready for it. All I can say is I LOVED it! He is very knowledgeable and it was an extreme pleasure doing the interview with him. He told me about his experiences and the good/bad in the ET field. We talked for about 2 hours then my phone died but I believe he was an excellent choice to do the interview with! I am going to try and make plans to head up to NE sometime and watch him at work for a few days. He did an amazing job on explaining why he does ET work and different topics within the field. I know everyone has their own opinions but if you have questions about ET in general or the career field I would not be afraid to contact him. It was an eye opening experience for me and very helpful!

yea, Terry is the man!!

Red Cow Relocators

He is in my opinion one of the best kept secrets in the cattle business. He gets alot of cows that "won't work" anymore and if there is a chance of getting an egg he will get it. I'm not sure why so many people haul their donors to someone else to have them overstimulated and ruined for life and then as a last resort haul them to Terry to save the day. Just an Idea here but imagine what he can do with good cows that aren't already blown! I've made the 12 hour trip several times myself. RCR

Cowboy

;D ;D ;D

Thank you a bunch -- makes my day! As Stu said, it only takes about 10 of the ruined cows to equal 1 good one -- and we can only hold 20 -- as of now I have about 2/3 of 1 cow on that basis!! If it weren't so sad it would be funny!

Glad to have been of some service, I was about to lose my voice, so it was a plus that her phone died!! hehehe

Terry

bigby535

If I had a cow I thought was worthy of the time and expense to flush, I would take her to Cowboy.  I've followed what he's had to say for years on here and another board.  What caught my eye and my interest was his common-sense approach to a complex subject - cattle reproduction.  IMO ET work is screwing around with Mother Nature, you're trying to force a cow to do something she's not really meant to do.  I think Terry tries to work WITH Mother Nature to get the job done successfully and without damaging the cow.  I've applied some of the things I've learned from him on here, to my management and my AI work and they WORK!   For the money it looks like these donor cows cost and what it probably cost to flush a cow, it would be a minor expense to get her a few hundred miles to Terry.  That cow would probably be on her own schedule, treated as an individual, taken care of by the guy in charge, not somebody that's punching a timeclock.  That's the number one thing I've learned from Terry - TIMING.  If timing helps in AI, imagine how important it must be in ET!  IMO distance is an excuse.  If RCR is hauling cows that far to Terry,  when there are alot of facilities closer, there has to be a good reason.  Just my two cents.