Cows and Einstein

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

OK AAOK ...this is your quote from another thread - thought it would be a good topic for discussion -
"Red - As you well know, Cows are stupid; not nearly as trainalbe as Horses."

and I absolutely positively totally disagree with you 100% - I do not believe cows are stupid - cows may think differently than other species - just like some humans process information differently than others. I think cows can reason out problems and can figure out things that are important to them but I also think they have "conceptual" issues - ie down and around is a hard one for them that most of us humans don't seem to have -

"City people" are amazed when I tell them that cows have personalities and are not all exactly alike (I guess there is the generic cow that is reproduced everywhere) - there is also a belief among the same group that cows are stupid - as stated I disagree with that too - but if you think an animal is stupid or unimportant then it is probably easier to eat it; if you thought it had a personality, or problem solved then it would likely be more difficult...

I actually prefer the company of cows to many people - I can have a much more intelligent conversation with them than many people

Telos

Amen... I agree. Cows seem to process info differently then most people. Their evolutionary journey on this planet did not require them to reason or think in the abstract like we humans. They are somewhat fearful with a 'proceed with caution instinct' that nature selected, for survival.  In most cases, I connect better with cows then humans, especially today at work. My co-workers acted like a bunch of hens. They were perfecting 'the pecking order'. I had to play the big bad rooster.

Show Heifer

I have three show calves....when I untie them, I take them to a feed pan of which has THEIR feed in it. I drop the rope and they all stand and eat their feed until gone....stupid they are not!!!

red

Hubby puts the halters on the heifers for me in the morning. That way they get used to him too & he spends some time w/ them. All four come up to him & lower their heads so he can halter them. It doesn't hurt that they get a total body rub too in the process.
My cows know when I have treats for them. They come running for apple or whatever. I think they have ME well trained.

Red

farmboy

i think the only time i call one stupid is when you HAVE to choke them down and they trie to kill you...what a coincadence, seems to be the same case as the Dr. who heifer we bought yesterday :mad: :-\

aj

I have gotten into archeology, annthropology , paleo indians and etc. Is bos taurus species from say the bison species in there line of development? I think like the elephant came from the say mamouth species.The modern day buffalo came from the extinct long horned(bigger) bison. The Kennewick man found in washington state ressembles a white man or a negro more than the traditional native indian. Are camels and Llama's related. Did the small horse that was in north america in ancient times cross the bearing straight to europe...develop into a larger horse and then got transfered back in the 1400's. Did the original huge white chianina develop from the the dinasaur?Just kidding.These are the things that keep me up at night. ;D

ELBEE

My life long obsetrvation of these two species is this: Bovine are motivated by what they (may?) consume. Equnie are motivated by what (may?) consume them.

In Cowboy terms: Cows want what's in your pocket, horses are scared to death of what's in your pocket!

pigguy

we have a cow that is way to smart for here own good. when you drive in the pasture and if you open your door she is all over you you just have to like cow slobber cuz it wil be all over the truck

TottenClubCalves

My Paddy Heifer gets fed morning and night and when she gets done with her feed she walks over bites her gate backs up and walks out into the pasture. Needsles to say i had to invest in some gate latches!  ;D

Telos

This is a true story... When in college, I bought and sold show calves. One time I observed a steer trader, who usually fed 8 to 15 calves at any given time, feed a group of 8 steers for their morning feeding after bringing them in the barn from a small pasture. He had each calf trained to go into their designated holding pens. Each calf new which pen they were suppose to go to and each group was fed a custom ration. One thing I remember looking back, is that this person had a very calming demeanor and never seemed to get excited about anything. He was very good with cattle and seemed to understand them.

I think some people just connect and understand cows better then others. I think Einstein would have liked cows and they in return would have liked him too. Maybe he would have theorized..."For every cow, there is a ...".

AAOK

dragon lady said:
OK AAOK ...this is your quote from another thread - thought it would be a good topic for discussion -
"Red - As you well know, Cows are stupid; not nearly as trainalbe as Horses."

Sure, just pull any old line out of the text.  I'll bite.  I consider any creature which poops where it sleeps, and poops where it eats, STUPID.
I think my love of cows is partly because they are so stupid.  I spent a lot time with my cows, and always enjoyed their companionship.  They never complained about my singing, the constant whistling, or the fact that I always talk to myself.  True, cows can be trained to do many things.  However, if you've ever trained another animal, I'll bet it took a lot less time than training a cow.  I LOVE 'em, but I still consider them STUPID!

Why do you think they call those candies MILK DUDS?   

DL

(well I think it was the first line of the text!)...so it is the toilet and toilet training that makes humans intellectually superior to, well, almost any species - interesting perspective -

I''ve trained a lot of critters including fish - cows are not stupid, they just learn and process differently -- different (to me) doesn't equal stupid  ::)

Telos

...but I think the great all mighty creator of cows did not see much of a reason to have them hold their bowels in some hidden corner of a pasture. Cows are  designed to spread their poop around and not have it consolidated in just one area. We humans always seem to manage walking in this cow poop which brings me to question... who is the most stupid?  :)))

DL

Telos said:
...but I think the great all mighty creator of cows did not see much of a reason to have them hold their bowels in some hidden corner of a pasture. Cows are  designed to spread their poop around and not have it consolidated in just one area. We humans always seem to manage walking in this cow poop which brings me to question... who is the most stupid?  :)))

A good turn of the words Telos!   (cow)(clapping) (cow)

knabe

the toilet issue cracks me up.  my sister had renters as next door neighbors.  they finally got kicked out.  when they cleaned out the place, one room was full of human feces and toilet paper because the toilet was plugged and they kinda couldn't figure that out.  i have a horse who poops in the stall and has access to a large turnout, and she lays down in the poop.  i had an across the street neighbor who sold their house who was a cat accumulator.  there was NO cat box in the house.  there was approx 50 cats, with about 6-7 dead ones in the house, poop, urine every where.  they re dry walled the place the smell was so bad.  one other neighbor is not quite so bad.  they at least have a cat box, but still have too many cats, and they poop on the front porch, all around the house.  in india, people do 1 & 2 in rivers and swim in them.  i had a psych teacher in college who did a "study" on how people went pottie.  he had a photo of a policeman doing # in the river which included women and children bathing in the river.  it has also been shown that 90% of males don't wash their hands when leaving a rest room at baseball games.  other locations it's about 70%.  women do wash their hands more, but it has also been show, including on Oprah, ugh, that women on sprinkle their hands for about 1-2 seconds with water and dry their hands.  it's been shown pretty conclusively that you need to scrub for about 10-15 seconds to be effective.  i'm thinking that cows at least have a mechanism to not eat where they poop, but humans seem to have an override mechanism.  i always wonder what the E. coli poisoning rate is unrelated to purchased food.  it's probably THEE most underreported ailment.  all that upset stomach, diarhea feeling people seem to get can't have anything to do with PERSONAL sanitation habits can it?  i think humans in general are stupider than animals.

ROAD WARRIOR

I have always thought that cows are alot like people - some are very smart and some of them are'nt. I know both cows and people that if breathing was not a natural reflex - they would be dead. I will say that I probably like cows on the whole better than people most of the time.

shorthorns r us

My line is, "I know more good cows than good people."  The more people that I meet and TV news that I watch the more I am convinced that it is more truth than humor!

DL

A karma point and a mini silver tongue award to SRU and RW! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)