cows calving early in the heat

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dale

In SW Indiana, producers say cows are calving  up to 3 weeks early this fall.  Also that sows are farrowing early.  Yesterday a neighbor had his pond watering system for 30 cows run dry.  Our forecast is for 100 again today.

SWMO

Our Fall Calving cows typically calve one to two weeks early.  Our Spring cows will calve on time or a little late.

Joe Boy

Last Summer we had lots of heat and dry weather here in Texas.  My cows calved 1-3 weeks early...actually only one was 3 weeks early and was very premee.... he lived and brought a good price.

Hope you get some rain but not the floods...

chambero

We kicked into high gear with calving over the weekend.  On our AI cows, we've got 8 calves so far.  One was born at 264 days gestation, the others around 274.

Will

I am not supposed to get any calves until September 3rd, we have had 8.  Our fall calves are always earlier and smaller at birth than our spring calves.  I have taken about ten years worth of birth weights and averaged them out and the fall calves are 11.2 pounds lighter at birth.  Cows are similarly bred and the same bulls are used.  Probably not scientific but interesting.