Cows cycling after TAI

Help Support Steer Planet:

T-Majic

I searched old posts and couldn't find much. I used the 5 day synch and TAI this year. I am hoping for good success, had a lot in heat and my ABS guy who does the AI-ing said that he has been having good success with it. However, I was just wondering if by using the cidr's if it can mess up the second cycle or if they still cycle again in 21 days. My ABS guy said that he thinks that is a possible downside to cidr's is that if they don't stick they may take longer to cycle back.  It has been 23 days since we AIed and I have only noticed the bull following one cow around.Last year my dad used the 7 day protocol and about 12 head and the ones that didn't stick got way behind.  Just wondered if anyone else thinks they take longer to cycle back or if it is still usually 3 weeks.  The guy AI-ing said 17 out of the 20 were good to very good for the timing and the 3 that he called fair were cows I was trying to move up and just hoping I could get them to settle. He AIs over 7,000 a year but I still doubt we got 19 out of 20 if so I can wait til next calving season.  Has anyone else heard of this.

gary89

I leave cidrs in for 7 days and my cows cycle back in 3 weeks if not settled.

LN

I used a 7-day TAI protocol last year and didn't notice any of what you are describing.

I had 39 re-breeds after the TAI and their cycles played out like a normal curve as you would expect. The most I had in heat on re-breeds was day 21.

I had 6 cows that didn't conceive to TAI and either I missed their 2nd cycle or they lost the pregnancy early and the bull got them. Or could be what you're describing and they cycled later. But from the 39 coming in right on time it would only have been the exception, not the rule.

OH Breeder

Used CIDRS on 12 head. Had one of the 12 come back in like clock work 21 days after. Her heat was even stronger than with CIDRS. So we settled 11 out of the 12 with 7 day protocol CIDR and shots.

aandtcattle

I can see these cows that don't stick coming back into heat 18-21 days after insemination on a heat detected breeding, but with GnRH being administered at the time of insemination on timed a.i., they should be coming back into heat much sooner than normal.  If the cow has a viable follicle at tai the GnRH shot will drop the egg.  If she does not have a viable follicle or if she just does not conceive the GnRH shot will "re-set" the ovaries and cause the cow to come back into heat as early as 12 days post GnRH.  We a.i. over 500 of our own cows on this protocol annually as well as several thousand on a custom basis. Our bulls are always busiest 14-16 days post TAI.

T-Majic

Thanks for some of the input.  I think last year was just by chance and some of them lost their pregnancies because they got about 2-3 months behind or it could have also been due to being with a yearling bull.  I hppe they are all cycling well this year and I was pleased with the response we got from the cows on the 5 day protocol so hopefully we will have a shortened calving season for the ones I AIed

CAB

We try to bred as many as we can off of standing heat after pulling cidrs and time breed the nonresponders, but our activity is usually around days 20 & 21 for the recycles.