cows on irrigated pasture

Help Support Steer Planet:

A.P.

Was wondering if any of you guys run cows under center pivots. (summer grasses and winter annuals) I have a well and could put @70 acres under irrigation just wondering if it is profitable. I live on the south plains of texas and can probably grow giant bermuda and wheat/triticale in the winter. I would appreciate any suggestions or info that would be helpful.

nkotb

Not sure if Giant Bermuda is a perennial, but if it is I would pick something else.  With a perennial your biggest cost is going to be in getting it established, and then to tear it up to plant wheat I would think would not be very profitable.  There are a few guys around my area, NW Kansas, that have tried it in the past and ran stocker calves.  They don't do it anymore though so not sure it was profitable.  If I was going to look at doing it I would probably do a sudangrass or sorghum/sudangrass cross in the summer/fall, and the triticale/rye mix in the winter/spring.

vc

Try the Cattle today .com web site, they have a pasture section in their forums, there are quite a few people on there from your area and they might be able to help you, or as some post allot check with your agent in the area, they might know what will work best in your area.

around here you see Bermuda during the warm months and cover seed with a cool season annual (rye or oats and rye)
After the second frost our Bermuda goes dormant.