Coyotes

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

Need some help, my parent's farm cats have been disappearing and this morning by dad saw a large coyote laying out by a tree in our field about 100 yards from our house.  He got up and leisurely walked away.

What is the best way to go about getting rid of it?  When do they usually hunt?  Do they usually get this brazen to be so close to a house? 

Will a 12 guage do any damage or do we need to scope him with a deer rifle?

Any help is appreciated.  They have a small dog that outdoors that they do not want to lose and well as the rest of the farm cats.  I would estimate we are missing 8 - 10 cats.

cowz

Disclaimer:   THE FOLLOWING OPINION WAS MADE BY A CRANKY RANCH WIFE WHO GREW UP IN A HOUSE FULL OF BOYS WITH A WELL STOCKED GUN CABINET.
THIS STATEMENT IS NOT IN ANY WAY TO BE CONSTRUED AS "POLITICALLY CORRECT".

Use the "3 S's":  Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up         

Use the deer rifle!  (Also, if you do not have close neighbors, hang the recently deceased specimen on the fence.)  This tends to make the evil creatures to move on.   It's bad enough when they eat all of your cats, they will eventually go after your dogs.  I have a neighbor that replaced her beloved daushound fairly frequently. 

Just a ( potentially unpopular) opinion!  Remember that Native Americans have a legend that says at the end of the world only the coyote and the cockroach will remain. ;D

DL

Where are they(your parents?)?? Are there "coyote hunters" in the area? Round here most everyone has their various weapon and bullet  of choice - usually a variety of rifles - coyotes can become very brazen and I would suggest that parents leave small dog in house. Best defense against coyotes not involving bullets is a guard dog - Great Pyrenees is my choice, but almost any big dog will do - they are opportunistic (like burglers) make it easy and they will take their meals at your place - make it difficult and they will move on to a different site. You can see them any time of day, they are becoming very comfortable in the suburbs and it is not unusual to see one on the fringes of the MSU campus. I have heard that they are becoming more aggressive but I don't knkow that that is true. Llamas and donkeys will also deter their activity, as actually will cows - because of the drought my cows were not on the far pasture and I saw for the first time ever a coyote - in my pasture attacking a fawn - I have seen the cows chase fox so I assume they would also chase coyotes - this coyote was a youngster and ended up hit in the road....good luck to Mom and Dad

farmboy

iff you can see where the coyote was from there house and you have a 2 story, go sniper on him, weve done that a few times on the second floor with a window and a .243

JbarL

i agree with shooting them as well...safely of course....but more importantly listen for  them...and find them....so e. ohio has quite alot of them....freind killed one in meigs co 2 years ago ( second day of deer  gun season)  @ 86 lbs....quite healthy coat and teeth....( looking for pic)...we here them all the time but only rarely do they come that close to the facilities to even be seen....when they are spotted that close and kill farmstock a few good men gathe...and by knowing about where they are...makes it a bit easier to find them........hear alot but dont see hardly any damage to the farms......some say that the adaquet amount of deer seem to  quell there agression to hunt....say also that with the  limited amount of folks actually buying license in hunt now...that the coyote are actually getting more deer than the state licensed hunters.....aot of kids still hintin' in the so e. reagion...(used to close school first day of season..not sure if they still do )...probally same in west central also  ....but stat wide.....no one's buyin' license any more....and i believe ohio license also aloows  for  up to 5 per year???...... and the deer are all over the place......what do you think  sj cattle??  you seem to be right in the area ?

Jill

We have a pack of them around here and they are very bold.  We live in the suburbs and the way the coyotes around here move they go right up to housing divisions.  We usually start after harvest is done trying to get rid of them before we start calving, because besides cats and dogs they will also kill your new calves.  We shoot to kill (we live on I-35 so we have to be careful) and they can be very hard to get rid of.  We see the most movement at our place right at dawn, if you watch the cows once one enters the pasture they will all watch it, we do have a donkey running with ours to try and keep them away.  Good Luck and keep the dog inside.

afhm

There's an old saying that if you hang a dead snake upside down on a fence it will rain like 3 days later.

farmboy

your allowed to kill 7 this year, ive seen 1 coyote in 5 years..and i live 40 miles from athens, weird, you can hear them but never see em

jason

Thanks for the advice.

We do have a similar setup to what Farmboy suggested, the house is 2 story and does have windows the face toward a small barn where the cats hang out. 

I am somewhat cautious as we do have a highway near us also, and don't want any stray bullets.

Gypsy

afhm said:
There's an old saying that if you hang a dead snake upside down on a fence it will rain like 3 days later.

Now ya tell me.  Wish you had brought this up two months ago.  Still no rain to speak of here.

A lot of the sheep ranchers around here use the ultralite planes (kind of like a lawnmower with wings) to get above them and sneak up on them,  Good luck to you.

Show Dad

Disclaimer:  THE FOLLOWING OPINION WAS MADE BY A CRANKY RANCHER WHO GREW UP IN A HOUSE FULL OF BOYS WITH A WELL STOCKED GUN CABINET.
THIS STATEMENT IS NOT IN ANY WAY TO BE CONSTRUED AS "POLITICALLY CORRECT".
And for those with a weak stomach!

Find a rabbit and at either dusk or dawn tie twine around one back leg and a stake on the other end. Then slit it's belly, just deep enough to go through the skin while not cutting into any organs. This will send the rabbit to squealing. Hide about 100 ft away and wait for the coyotes to approach. You will be surprised as to how many will show up.

farmboy

thats a good way, dont be the prayed upon[in this case cats] be the hunter, coyotes cant stand not checking out a squealing struggling animal, id say that would be ur best bet....by the way, it is raining as I type this...HARD

nmsteerjoc

If you are afraid of stray bullets load your 12 gauge with "dead coyote" (I can't remember who makes it, but they should have it at wal mart) I have rolled yotes at as far as 80 yards with it.  Even if you just hit them in the ass with it they will die in a few hours.  It will also help if you could go to you local kill plant and get some guts, throw those out there and you will be covered up with yote dogs.

Hope this helps

frostback

If you don't have a problem with the coyotes eating calves DO NOT feed them anything remotely close to bovine. They feed on what their parents fed them as pups and if they don't have a taste for cattle don't give them it. We have coyotes close to our place and cant keep a cat around but they have never bothered a calf. I have seen them walking through the cows and baby calves eating the calf poop and the cows don't even get up, this was in the day too. We also make sure not to leave after birth around too. If the cow dosn't eat it I put it in a dumpster. They will check for a dead prairie dog every once in while too. They can have all of those they want and the rabbits too.

farmboy

12 guage will do it no problem with slugs or the shot mentioned before, but not as rangey. Coyotes have keen sences, so if you can get a yote up to 300 yards, you'd be best with a deer rifle

justintime

I have never tried either of these coyote remidies, but a coyote hunter close to here, tells me that you can get rid of coyotes in short order by pouring antifreeze on a dead animal  and putting the carcass someplace out of the way where coyotes will feed. He says it works but I am not sure if I believe him. I haven't had anything die for awhile and I was going to try it.
Another thing I have heard for any rodents and maybe even coyotes is mixing fly bait and original Coca Cola in a dish and putting someplace where your dogs and cats cannot get to it. A fellow told me that he has used this for killing rats, gophers, skunks, badgers etc, and they will die within feet of where they eat this combination. Again, I have no idea if this is an old wives tale or real but my neighbour swears by this.
Coyotes are getting bad around here. A fellow who farms 30 miles from here, is a coyote hunter in the winter months. Last year he caught 273 coyotes in his traps. He is putting out 285 traps this winter so he should eliminate more than a few around here.

DL

justintime said:
I have never tried either of these coyote remidies, but a coyote hunter close to here, tells me that you can get rid of coyotes in short order by pouring antifreeze on a dead animal  and putting the carcass someplace out of the way where coyotes will feed. He says it works but I am not sure if I believe him. I haven't had anything die for awhile and I was going to try it.
Another thing I have heard for any rodents and maybe even coyotes is mixing fly bait and original Coca Cola in a dish and putting someplace where your dogs and cats cannot get to it. A fellow told me that he has used this for killing rats, gophers, skunks, badgers etc, and they will die within feet of where they eat this combination. Again, I have no idea if this is an old wives tale or real but my neighbour swears by this.
Coyotes are getting bad around here. A fellow who farms 30 miles from here, is a coyote hunter in the winter months. Last year he caught 273 coyotes in his traps. He is putting out 285 traps this winter so he should eliminate more than a few around here.

Bad idea - antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is very very poisonous and will kill anything that licks it - takes very little - to kill - a teaspoon can kill a cat. It is toxic to kidneys -

Antifreeze tastes real sweet so most mammals will lick it....

Coke and fly bait is suppose to work....for small rodents and also cats...

JbarL

dragon lady said:
justintime said:
I have never tried either of these coyote remidies, but a coyote hunter close to here, tells me that you can get rid of coyotes in short order by pouring antifreeze on a dead animal  and putting the carcass someplace out of the way where coyotes will feed. He says it works but I am not sure if I believe him. I haven't had anything die for awhile and I was going to try it.

Bad idea - antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is very very poisonous and will kill anything that licks it - takes very little - to kill - a teaspoon can kill a cat. It is toxic to kidneys -

Antifreeze tastes real sweet so most mammals will lick it....

Coke and fly bait is suppose to work....for small rodents and also cats...
must be very carfull with the coke and flybait....works quite well....kills coons dead in 50 ft or less.....dogs/cats/anthing as well though  ....local laws may vary "QUITE'  differently in some areas...some being banned.........jbarl