cracked corn

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

Ok i am starting to cook corn for the show calves. and i was wondering a few things. i am going to cook the cracked corn and i was wondering how long i should cook it and at what tempature. and what kind o fanti bloat should i use.

red

I think usually they cook it over night & start the next batch right away.

Not sure on the last part of the question?

Red

red

good job Farmboy!

Make sure they have plenty of baking soda or bicarbonate in the feed. Just increase gradually.

Red

ROAD WARRIOR

I usually cook whole corn, about 8 -10-hours. I don't use an anti bloat product unless I have a problem animal. In that case I use a product called paloxolene. Good luck

Jill

We cook whole corn in a crock pot one part corn to 2 parts water on 12 hour interavals (or when we feed).  We have never used an anti bloat, we just add the cooked corn to the feed mix we are already feeding.  Never tried cracked corn, not sure what the difference would be.

ShowStopper

Moocow11, are you trying to keep hair? If so, it may be too hot outside to cook corn. The cooked corn will add fat fast, but will also eventually burn off all your hair.

Moocow11

hair would be great but weight is way more important right now. i cooked a batch of whole corn and cracked corn. cracked corn was done in a bout 4 hours. but then whole corn is still coooking. i have 3 calves that need to gain a bunch of weight. how much corn should i cook for all three of them for 2 feedeings a day. how much  more gain could i expect feeding cooked corn

renegade

I am in that same predicament - tell me how your steers do on the cooked feed.  It really sucks when they are under weight.

red

this is from Jill in a previous post:

We don't actually replace any of the ration.  We use one of the big cups, 32oz I think, 1 corn 2 water in a crock pot ever 12 hours.  We put that on top of the ration if we a re trying to pour the fat on we also top that with a cap full of corn gluten (the powder stuff) and a fat product that Suthers makes (I can't think of the name right now I think it is actually a show pig product).

also from another board:
For three steers i put 2 1\2 gallons of corn to 4 gallons of water in a family size turkey roaster at 250-275 degrees, the cooker is in the barn so i adjust for outside temp. you just have to play with it to figure out how to cook it. i leave it cook overnight, and start a new batch in the morning to feed that night, so it cooks for about 12 hours.

Moocow11

so far they are eating it pretty good. but i was wondering if cooked barley would put more weight on them. if so how do i cook it

Jill

My earlier post was per calf.  I have not ever tried barley, don't even have any info on that.  You have a lot of weight to put on in a short amount of time,  I can tell you this is not a miracle worker, it does put on fat quicker and more uniform than just feed, but your not going to see drastic weight gain either.  Wish you the best of luck, let us know how you end up.

ROAD WARRIOR

Moocow11 said:
so far they are eating it pretty good. but i was wondering if cooked barley would put more weight on them. if so how do i cook it

Cook the barley the same as the whole corn. I've always fed less of it than I would cooked corn - always thought it was a little hotter. I don't have access to whole barley most of the time, wish I did.

AAOK

I put to use all kinds of friendly advice about cooked corn, steam rolled oats, eggs, karo syrup, barley, beet pulp, corn oil, and all kinds of fat products.  I tried every home brew I heard of during our first 3 or 4 years of Showing.  Some helped, some hurt, but none fixed every problem.  In 1996, when I learned a little about Beef Nutrition from a Dairy Nutritionist with Moormans, my problems were solved.  The solution was an understanding of higher protein for growth, lower protein for weight gain, plus a simple ration of cracked corn, cottonseed hulls, whole oats, soybean meal, molasses, and a HIGH QUALITY mineral and vitamin pack

After that, never a problem.  One thing I have noticed: great genetics sure do help.  It's ALL about the cows!!!!

AAOK

renegade said:
how has that been working? What is your feed mixture?

It's the only thing I've used since 1996.  I never change the ration for anything.  My mix would be considered a steer ration, but we concentrate mostly on heifers.  All my cows are large framed, so I don't have to feed for growth.  Send me an email, and I'll give you the mix %s.

Dan