Crazy hair gowth idea.

Help Support Steer Planet:

The Show

Today I was clipping a calf and she coughed and I nicked her tailhead. Needless to say I was pretty mad bc it's hard to grow hair on the tailhead and she has to show in a month. When I got home I was still pretty angry and I was telling my mom what happened and my little brother smarted off and said put some rogain on it...That got me to thinking. We use all kinds of human products on cattle anyways...Has anyone ever used human hair growth products on cattle? Did they work? Sounds like something to try anyways.

savaged

Rest assured its been tried, and if it worked lots of folks would be using it.  But heck, go for it and let us know what happens.

shorties

it does work... i used it to grow some hair on a switch but if you stop using it the hair will fall out.

DL

Not to belabor the point but Rogaine is not approved for use in cattle and if you follow the ELDU regulations there is no way it could legally be used. FWIW it was originally a blood pressure medication (Minoxidil) used to treat severe hypertension - it was noticed that women on the drug grew a mustache and more hair....now bald men everywhere rub it on their heads - go figure - hair is just as important to bald men as steers ;)

The Show

I wasn't specifically referring to Rogaine; more like hair growth products in general.  I wish I had a dummy calf to try it on bc I don't want to risk her hair falling out. Got any tips on helping grow it? I figured I'll starting wetting it and combing it dry before I go to school in the morning, when I get home in the afternoon, and when I turn her out in the evening. Hopefully I can get it to come back enough.

stangs13

If your a month out you should be relatively safe, hair will grow back over, and the other around it will grow too and be easy to blend..in most cases..haha.

fed_champions

try cattle urine, have u ever noticed that the longest hair  on a calf is around its genitals where piss comes out... another radical thing to  try.

The Show

@simtal, I'm gonna order a bundle of horse hair from sullivans just in case.

@stangs, should....when I got her 2 weeks ago they had scalped it down pretty close bc her tailhead is a little high and I've got had a pretty good amount of hair on it. She's only 6 months old, so she's still in her fuzzy stage.

@fed, wow....that's all I've got to say

DFSC

You can try this, it's worth a shot- MTG (Mane and Tail Groom). It's most commonly used on horses, but I've used it on cattle before. It works pretty good and smells like BBQ sauce.. not kidding. Give it a try and tell me if it works!

Jordan

stangs13

DFSC said:
You can try this, it's worth a shot- MTG (Mane and Tail Groom). It's most commonly used on horses, but I've used it on cattle before. It works pretty good and smells like BBQ sauce.. not kidding. Give it a try and tell me if it works!

Jordan

This will work for spots! Its a little oily to use all over them during the summer though. Try building the hair in front of the tail head so you can better blend the high tail head into the body..we have it this way on one heifer and it really works well.

The Show

This?
270225_L.jpg

Her hair in front of the tail head is still there. I nicked it a little farther back. I was looking at it today and from judging distance it doesn't look that bad. It could definitely look worse. 

The Show

How do you use it? Do you put it in there comb it and let dry or blow it or just rub it in and leave it???

stangs13

The Show said:
How do you use it? Do you put it in there comb it and let dry or blow it or just rub it in and leave it???

Rub in and leave, do it when you turn out at night, then just rinse it out in the morning!! These good cattle grow hair so fast its easy to get things fixed.

The Show

Yes, the young one. She's an October 15th calf. I'm graduating this year, but I'm gonna show her at State Futurity, East Texas State Fair Open, Four States Fair Open, and probably a few jackpots. After that were putting her in my sisters name so she can show her.

stangs13

The Show said:
Yes, the young one. She's an October 15th calf. I'm graduating this year, but I'm gonna show her at State Futurity, East Texas State Fair Open, Four States Fair Open, and probably a few jackpots. After that were putting her in my sisters name so she can show her.

Gottcha gottcha...we are picking up another young sim heifer, but shes younger than she is! Scoping out the competition! ;D

Latest posts