Crazy Horse!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondS

This is my four year old ranch horse.  Yes, he is rubbing against coyotes hanging in the tree.  We had to take them out of there because he was beating them up.  Had I asked him to go near them otherwise, I'm sure he'd tell me HECK NO!!

Attachments

• Reno resized.JPG
    Reno resized.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 540

DiamondS

We have been having problems in a couple of our main calving pastures with coyotes bothering the mother cows while they were calving, so we started eradicating them.  I've caught a pack of 6 running around and playing around a 3 yr old cow and while she was trying to calve.  She'd been trying for a while to have it but they wouldn't leave her alone so she could just lay down and have her baby.  When we did run them off, she flopped down and spit him out immediately.  She was exhausted though!  The coyotes were hung there until they could be skinned, but I guess my horse thought he'd get his own revenge on the coyotes. 

Dusty

I know a couple guys who have Llamas that run with the sheep and cows and they said they have never had a problem with coyotes since they got them.  I think they can get kind of ornory though.  I know another guy who shot his neighbor's llama because it kept getting in with his cows.

knabe

Dusty said:
I know a couple guys who have Llamas that run with the sheep and cows and they said they have never had a problem with coyotes since they got them.  I think they can get kind of ornory though.  I know another guy who shot his neighbor's llama because it kept getting in with his cows.

what did the offspring look like?

Dusty

knabe said:
Dusty said:

Not very stout, but great hair....

inthebarnagain

Dusty said:
knabe said:
Dusty said:

And they don't just chew their cud, they spit it at you when they are done

dori36

inthebarnagain said:
Dusty said:
knabe said:
Dusty said:

And they don't just chew their cud, they spit it at you when they are done

Good ones,, Knabe and ITBA!  (lol) (lol) (clapping)

KCK

txshowlamb said:
how did the coyotes get in the tree?

I know some producers that believe hanging a dead coyote in an area will ward others off. They put them along their "trouble" spots and trust that it will work.

Steer Boy 101

What are yours guys choice for firearms to take care of the pest. WE have problems too and we put a donkiey in and havnt lost a calf but we have foxs get our turkeys we are rasieing. We have houses fairly close buy us. What calibrs do you use.

Dusty

A .223 or 22-250 is good.  A .223 semi-auto is a little handier and more fun to shoot. A 12 gauge with buckshot is pretty effective too if you're close enough to them.  If you have open country you can just drive up next to them and blast 'em with the shotgun.  However a good 22-250 will allow you to take them out 300-400 yards with a little practice.

Turkey Creek Ranch

First off, I know how crazy horses can be! We have had one horse, and we had to get rid of her about a week after we got her (from a family member). She would not let the cows, or bulls eat. She would bite them, kick them, anything. They were terrified of her. You couldn't ride her.

As for firearms. We use an old Marlin 30-30 Lever Action. It works great. You can get shots off quick, it has great accuracy and range. I use my 12 ga. Wingmaster Super Mag usually. Some 4-6 shot works great to take down the coyotes, and, gives you a better chance at hitting them if they are on the run. My uncle swears by his 7 mm Mag. It is a little over kill, but has a great scope, and can shoot from a mile away if needed. Some people around here carry pistols also. .45, .22 are the ones that are used most. They work very well at close range, but when you are across a pasture they wont work very well. If you are a Fur Trapper and want to use the animals pelts to sell, the best way to go is a good .22 Long Rifle with a good scope. Great range, accuracy, and its a lot quieter than other guns so it doesn't spook the animals as much.

Turk

shortyjock89

I have a .223 NEF that's pretty good for gettin the yotes, but it's single shot.  I have it in my truck, and we have it in the combine at harvest.  We also use a .243 Browning bolt action.  We can get the critters at 300 yards or more, it's pretty flat here!!

BCCC

Gotta saya .223 or a .243, And just for fun I also like shooting "stuff" with a .45 hand gun!!