Credit available.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I thought it was interesting at this website, which by the way has some outstanding looking cattle that they also offer financing. I really do like there stock. Road Warrior may be able to elaborate on some of their genetics.

http://www.blairscattleco.com/donors.htm

Jill

Wow, they have some really nice cattle pictured.  I like the Red Angus, we will probably end up with some before long, by the time all 3 boys are showing we will have to have them in different breeds to keep them from competing against each other.  The only down side is there aren't enough of them in our area so they have to compete in the AOB division and at most shows that puts them in class with the Appendix Shorthorn and Maintainers and they generally don't have enough power to compete, but the heifer they have pictured from 2006 Agribition looks like she could show anywhere.

OH Breeder

For TJ
http://www.lazyglowline.com/herd/pedigree.php?id=41

Jill,
I know what you mean. After looking at some of these cattle the Durham Reds are looking better. I really like those females. There heifers look like they could compete in our majors.

justintime

The Blair family has a long history with the beef industry in Western Canada. For many years they operated a purebred Simmental operation and also have had quite a few Maine cattle over the years. They are very good cattlemen and have been very successful in farming and in their fertilizer and crop inputs business. They also farm a sizable amount of land, and theirb family was one of the founding members in the Pundmaker AgriVentures, which is a 60,000 head feedlot that also has a ethanol plant incorporated in it. They can offer credit through their lenders for their other business ventures. There are quite a few people up here who are willing to finance cattle. Usually most ask for a portion down at the time of purchase and the balance spread over a few months. I have done the same with my production sales and with bull sales and it has worked vey well. In one of my production sales I had a well known breeder contact me prior to the sale and he said he wanted to buy in the sale, however, he had payments due for two combines and a tractor in the same week as my sale. I agreed to offer him terms and he agreed to pay 25% down and the balance in 3 months. He bid on almost all the bred females in my sale and purchased 11 head. He alone, probably added over $400 to my sale average and he had it all paid in less than two months. I was still waiting for a considerable amount from the cattle purcahsed on order by the sale reps  when I had this money. I have also at times had to turn down some people just because of their reputation or their finanicial circumstances.
It is just in the past few years that they have started in the Red Angus breed. Last year when Jacksom Cattle Co. dispersed their Red Angus herd. Kevin Blair when with the intension of buying one female that had been Grand Champion at Canadian Western Agribition. He was rummer up biider on her at about $25,000, but then lit in and purchased about 30 -35 head for about a total of $130,000.The kind of guy everyone would like to have show up at your sale.
The Blairs, are honest, knowledgable and have good cattle. I would recommend them to anyone.

justintime

I really have to learn to read what I have written, as well as I have to use spell check before I post !!!! Sorry for the typo mess in the previous post. If you would like a translation, please contact me. I really do know how to spell.... it is just that my typing REALLY SUCKS!!!

OH Breeder

No JIT, I understand your message. We all have those key board days where it seems to be more challenging and the keys just don't work.
Good information. I hadn't seen that before where the breeder has a credit line available, but maybe it is because I am not spending that much at one time. Interesting concept though, with the state of the current market some bank should think about offering a credit program like this. Then again, maybe they do and I just don' t know.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
For TJ

1st... those are some really nice looking Red Angus on that website. 

OH B... I know the Chapman's (Lazy G Lowlines) out in Washington state & they are real nice people. 

If anyone is interested in embryo's out of that bull & a red gene carrying fullblood Lowline cow (former Res. National Champ), I can put you in contact with the seller.  I think that they want $2,000 each with a guarantee.  Only 3 are available right now (they've already sold some eggs), but they may flush the cow again..  If the calves end up being red, no telling what they would be worth.             

Here is a link to another red fullblood Lowline bull...
http://agads.net/page-10780.html

FYI, both of those red bulls carry the "wild" gene, not the recessive red gene. 

genes

I didn't know they got into Red Angus now.  I used to show against their kids (not that I was much competition for them  ;)) in 4-H and they always had nice heifers.

OH Breeder

TJ said:
OH Breeder said:
For TJ

OH B... I know the Chapman's (Lazy G Lowlines) out in Washington state & they are real nice people. 

If anyone is interested in embryo's out of that bull & a red gene carrying fullblood Lowline cow (former Res. National Champ), I can put you in contact with the seller.  I think that they want $2,000 each with a guarantee.  Only 3 are available right now (they've already sold some eggs), but they may flush the cow again..  If the calves end up being red, no telling what they would be worth.             

OUCH  :eek: 2000 an egg....whew 6000 on eggs. Not saying they aren't worth it. But, i like the looks of that bull.
the red angus females on the canadian sight are some of the best i have seen on the net. Great looking.

TJ

OH Breeder said:
TJ said:
OH Breeder said:
For TJ

OUCH  :eek: 2000 an egg....whew 6000 on eggs. Not saying they aren't worth it. But, i like the looks of that bull.
the red angus females on the canadian sight are some of the best i have seen on the net. Great looking.

I had the oppurtunity to buy them, but that is too rich for my blood!!  I think that bull should produce some good calves though, especially out of that donor, but $2000 is pretty pricey!! 

I agree, those Canadian Red Angus look very good. 

TJ

genes said:
I didn't know they got into Red Angus now.  I used to show against their kids (not that I was much competition for them  ;)) in 4-H and they always had nice heifers.

genes... I've got a question for you... if 2 red animals were mated, but both of those red animals carried 2 sets of the "wild gene", not the recessive red gene that is common in Red Angus, would all the offspring still be red?  I know that in every other situation, red bred to red will always produce red, but would that still be the case here?  I don't know the answer, nor am I a genetics expert.  Do you have an idea what the result might be?  Would it be like rolling the dice & hoping for the best?  I have been told that the "wild gene" can produce anything from solid black to solid red & that it can throw brown colors too.  Just wanting to hear more about the "wild gene" & how it works from someone who isn't trying to promote an animal that carries that particular gene.  Thanks in advance! 

shortyjock89

OH Breeder said:
I thought it was interesting at this website, which by the way has some outstanding looking cattle that they also offer financing. I really do like there stock. Road Warrior may be able to elaborate on some of their genetics.

Those are some excellent Red Angus cattle.  I don't think a whole lot more can be said.  They are good at what they do, that's for sure..

ROAD WARRIOR

OH Breeder said:

Got here a little late on this one. I have not had the pleasure of meeting the Blairs yet. The only contact I have had with them was a sale catalog request from them. Toured their web site and really apreciated the cattle there. Looks like they have done their home work genetically. The Boomers are good cattle as are the Prime Ribs and Advancers. I wish I had more Prime Rib daughters in the herd, real money in the bank cows.

cowz

OH Breeder, are you going for some Durham Reds?  Those look like some good red angus!

genes

TJ said:
genes said:

genes... I've got a question for you... if 2 red animals were mated, but both of those red animals carried 2 sets of the "wild gene", not the recessive red gene that is common in Red Angus, would all the offspring still be red?  I know that in every other situation, red bred to red will always produce red, but would that still be the case here?  I don't know the answer, nor am I a genetics expert.  Do you have an idea what the result might be?  Would it be like rolling the dice & hoping for the best?  I have been told that the "wild gene" can produce anything from solid black to solid red & that it can throw brown colors too.  Just wanting to hear more about the "wild gene" & how it works from someone who isn't trying to promote an animal that carries that particular gene.  Thanks in advance! 

You know, I'm not really that much further than you on understanding the wild gene....just that it can sort of act as a bare template for all those "funny colours" (ie the jerseys, those strange muddy calves, etc.).  There would be a 25% chance on that mating that the calf would be wild/wild, where you see those something other than red.  I'm inclined to just think the muddy red/brown color most of the time unless other modifiers are present, such as the agouti responsible for the jersey type shading (and I wouldn't think there would be too many if Angus, but who knows what has hidden).  I think we had a black angus bull that carried the wild type gene once, because he had about 4 or 5 "red" calves (which given our herd size was nowhere near the 25% or 50%ratio a simple recessive red gene would have given), but most of them were just a little off colored....more brown than typical red.

Just curious why you have people promoting it.  While it doesn't hurt them, it is an "off" colour in a subjective business.  Is it just because people want to develop red lowlines, so they are looking at this gene, as 'well it's not red, but it's not black either'.  I guess it would work if you had a black with recessive wild type bred to a red, you get 50% red offspring.  But you're right as you bred red to red you would get quite a few of these wild types.  Maybe that's good enough for them?

TJ

genes said:
TJ said:
genes said:

You know, I'm not really that much further than you on understanding the wild gene....just that it can sort of act as a bare template for all those "funny colours" (ie the jerseys, those strange muddy calves, etc.).  There would be a 25% chance on that mating that the calf would be wild/wild, where you see those something other than red.  I'm inclined to just think the muddy red/brown color most of the time unless other modifiers are present, such as the agouti responsible for the jersey type shading (and I wouldn't think there would be too many if Angus, but who knows what has hidden).   I think we had a black angus bull that carried the wild type gene once, because he had about 4 or 5 "red" calves (which given our herd size was nowhere near the 25% or 50%ratio a simple recessive red gene would have given), but most of them were just a little off colored....more brown than typical red.

Just curious why you have people promoting it.  While it doesn't hurt them, it is an "off" colour in a subjective business.  Is it just because people want to develop red lowlines, so they are looking at this gene, as 'well it's not red, but it's not black either'.   I guess it would work if you had a black with recessive wild type bred to a red, you get 50% red offspring.  But you're right as you bred red to red you would get quite a few of these wild types.  Maybe that's good enough for them?

Thanks genes!!  What you descrided is my understanding as well. 

RE the promotion... they are not necessarily promoting the "wild gene" itself, they are promoting "Red Lowlines" (some are promoting them as "Redlines")  that carry 2 sets of the "wild gene".  Right now the only actual Red Lowlines that I know of, carry 2 sets of the wild gene.  I know of several black fullblood Lowlines that carry the recessive red gene, but I don't know of any actual Red Fullblood calves that have been born in last few years with the recessive red gene. 

I guess that I am thinking that usuing a Red animal with 2 sets of the wild gene to produce more Red calves is going to be a lot like going to Las Vegas.  I was just wondering if I was correct in my assumption.  Red bred to Red is always supposed to produce Red, but if no recessive Red gene is present in those red animals & if both of those red parents each contain 2 sets of the wild gene, I would think that black calves could result. 

genes

I'm going to use Ed for black gene, e for the red, and E+ for wild type (comes from http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/colors.html where they talk about it, and where I'm basing this discussion off of).

If EdE+ animals come out black, then crossing E+E+ animals to each other shouldn't result in true black, as there are no black genes left.  However, I do like your analogy that it might be like going to Vegas.  Yes some of these E+E+ animals might look very close to regular red, but some....don't.  Now just my own personal theory, it's possible they could luck out and Angus/Lowline don't have any or many modifiers that can act on top of wild type (eg. Jersey type shading, brindling, and whatever ones we don't even know about) so they might get less crazy colors and get away with it.  But if it were me I would probably be trying for real red genes eventually, rather than "faking" it (because if you can get them red, they will breed true...handy).  The advantage I can see for them though, is in the process, they definitely might have an easier time promoting eE+ animals that ARE red for "Redlines", than they would a Ede animal that is black (yet each still has one copy of the red gene).

garybob

ROAD WARRIOR said:
OH Breeder said:

Got here a little late on this one. I have not had the pleasure of meeting the Blairs yet. The only contact I have had with them was a sale catalog request from them. Toured their web site and really apreciated the cattle there. Looks like they have done their home work genetically. The Boomers are good cattle as are the Prime Ribs and Advancers. I wish I had more Prime Rib daughters in the herd, real money in the bank cows.
How do they get 'em so dark red, in Canada? Most of the RAAA cattle down here are orangey, or, lighter red.

OH Breeder

cowz said:
OH Breeder, are you going for some Durham Reds?   Those look like some good red angus!

Cowz,
I keep threating the kids I am going to. I just haven't found the right bull yet. The advice I have recieved on here will come in handy.

ROAD WARRIOR

garybob said:
ROAD WARRIOR said:
OH Breeder said:

How do they get 'em so dark red, in Canada? Most of the RAAA cattle down here are orangey, or, lighter red.

The darkness or lightness of the hair coat is a heritable trait. I personally like the dark ones the best and they are easier to market as well.