creep feeding... new at it.

Help Support Steer Planet:

bfn5005

i just started to creep feed my calves this year. One was born in feb and the other in march. They do not seem to be eating as much as i would like them to but i dont really know how much they should be eating. They are out on pasture with their mothers if that does make a difference. I am feeding them a show mix wich is made up of oats, rolled corn, cottonseed, and mollassis. their may be a few other things in it but i forget. I guess my main questions are... how much should they be eating of it and secondly if they are not eating as much as they should, is their any suggestions to encourage them to eat more? thanks for any help.

kanshow

Put the creep feeder near a place where the cows spend a lot of time.  If your cows are good milkers and they are grazing alongside the cow, they may not eat much.  Don't put much feed out and keep it fresh.

bfn5005

right now i have it fenced off so only the calfs can get to it and it is near the water, i figured when they come in to drink the calfs will go for the creep feed. Now that you said that though... the cows spend more time out in the pasture then they do in getting water. would you suggest i move it out into the pasture?