Creep feeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Just curious how everyone goes about creep feeding their calves? How soon do you start? what type of set-up? What kind of feed?

We start ours out almost immediately. We have a separate pen were the calves can go into. It gives them a chance to get away from the cows too. I keep it well bedded so that encourages them even more. I start out by just offering a small handful. They start nosing around in it. I keep it fresh & replace it every couple of days.
I use a complete starter feed. 15% protein w/ decox in it for scours. This pen also works for me to start petting them more & brushing them.

Red

ELBEE

I believe it's an important part of the club calf business to do just what you say. On the commercail end, we start in July when calves are 5-6 months old with whole oats that we grow on farm. Then wean 4-6 weeks later, steers are usally heavy enuogh to go right on finisher, and heifers are back-grounded for breeding.

red

Yes, the January heifer is starting to eat a little creep. Seems that once one starts the others soon follow.
I try to get the farm to statrt creep a little sooner but they aren't set up as nice as we are here.

Red

garybob

Elbee, do you have any feeding and kill data on your Fed Steers? The fact that your cattle are dang near fullbloods, but are attractive to the Clubby people intrigues me. So many folks firmly believe that you can't possibly have both qualities in the same Shorthorn pedigree. I tend to disagree.

Congratulations on your continued success.

Gary Bob

ELBEE

Ten years ago we ran some feeders through K-Kims feedlot, that data is in the sire summary (ELBEE Darell 8912). Since then we've been feeding and marketing our own freezer beef. Every carcase is analized by the plants owner, nothing offical, but it sure helps for my own information.

As far as (fullblood), there's not a drop of Maine blood in our herd. It all depends on how you veiw the Irish lines. By the way Deerpark Improver 3rd is foundation, (no Known parentage).

red

ELBEE said:
Ten years ago we ran some feeders through K-Kims feedlot, that data is in the sire summary (ELBEE Darell 8912). Since then we've been feeding and marketing our own freezer beef. Every carcase is analized by the plants owner, nothing offical, but it sure helps for my own information.

As far as (fullblood), there's not a drop of Maine blood in our herd. It all depends on how you veiw the Irish lines. By the way Deerpark Improver 3rd is foundation, (no Known parentage).

Elbee- were is that data located? I'd be interested in looking at it myself. I've been looking at some of your bloodlines too & am impressed.

Red

ELBEE

All this data is (in my head), I don"t mean to be cynical, but you have to trust me and our program. I do have a long list of references, including the owner of the processing plant, Vo-ag instructors, and satisfied customers. I will say, the secret is crossing Improver 3rd on old world genetics.

We've cussed and discused EPD's and ethics before, and we all know until there's some way of policing (gene-markers), it's all a mater of trust.

dlwardell

How much do you feed?  I have a 5 month old heifer and steer (weaned) that I am feeding.  They are going to be shown at the county fair in Jan.  I am using about 6 pounds per day each of a medicated Calf Grower and all the hay and grass they want.  They clean that up and holler for more.  The steer will need to be 650 -  750 by late August.
Any suggestions?

red

dlwardell said:
How much do you feed?  I have a 5 month old heifer and steer (weaned) that I am feeding.  They are going to be shown at the county fair in Jan.  I am using about 6 pounds per day each of a medicated Calf Grower and all the hay and grass they want.  They clean that up and holler for more.  The steer will need to be 650 -  750 by late August.
Any suggestions?

My calves right now are just under 3 months of age. They're just getting a scoop a day between the four of them. I like to make sure they clean it up before increasing it.
I'd gradually increase your so that they clean it up. Every couple of days increase by 1/2 pound. You don't want them to get fat but if they'll eat more, I'd let them.

(welcome)
Glad you joined us by the way!
Red

dlwardell

They are each cleaning up 2 scoops a day - 1 in am and 1 in pm - plus  1/2 at lunch if I get tired of hearing them moooooo!  Does that sound right, too much, not enough??

red

If they're fussing that much I'd up them some. Try going to 1 1/2 scoop for each twice a day. If they don't clean it up back them down again. Just keep them cleaning it up.

Red