Creeping Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

I use 1/2 14% creep and 1/2 like a showmaster heifer developer. For what it's worth.

Beach Limousin

In the spring we use regular 12% calf creep when grass and cows are doing good. In the fall and spring when grass is short we use a grain ration that is about 10% protein, 3% fat, 15% fiber.

cowboybecoachin

We use a 14 % pellet, but juice it up with 110 lbs of chopped corn and 100 lb. calf manna. Gets the fat up to around 5%. Calves get bloomy, great hair, and supplements a rough pasture or poor milking mother.

Reinken Cattle Co.

We sometimes use a starter feed from Kent, the rest of the time can usually get them started on Kents HP Calf Creep 60b and usually feed that up until about 6-8 months age.

shortyjock89

Umbarger calf starter, then mix with our grower about a month out from weaning.

cowboybecoachin said:
We use a 14 % pellet, but juice it up with 110 lbs of chopped corn and 100 lb. calf manna. Gets the fat up to around 5%. Calves get bloomy, great hair, and supplements a rough pasture or poor milking mother.

What is the ratio of pellet to corn, and calf manna?  Sounds like a good mix for getting the bloom on!

Joe Boy

Because of troubles with birds I like to use a pellet feed.  12-14% with corn in it.  I really like to use a dairy cow ration but due to the birds cannot.  I am going to start using a formula by "Livestock Nutrition Center" in Oklahoma next week.  It looks good and smells good.  It has cotton seed in it and I have not fed cotton seed to the calves but have to the cows in the past.  But on show calves we have always used a cotton seed hull ration.