crippled club calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

tama

need a little help from the clubbie side- posted a long time ago about twins born with turned under feet. We stretched feet out and worked them etc and twin heifers turned out fine.Last year twin twins calved no problem both had blue roan babies out a shorthorn bull.This year I posted that both cows calved and both calves had turned under front feet one was like a free wheeler on back leg-didn't quite reach the ground. One walked right out of the trouble other one front end is really deformed but he has been growing good thought I would let him try to out grow it. this week I didn't check cows as close and did not see the calf with front end problems for over a week.What a change front end is struggling to keep calf up but back end has straightened out so legs are posty one leg only gets used if he is walking otherwise he is trying to straighten it out behind himself or it just hangs but both back legs are straight no set at all.Long post -sorry but my question is this--will he make it to 800-900 lbs. or will he cripple up so bad that I should take care of himnow? my main concern is same as most of yours calf should not suffer but if made it to butcher weight would not be a loss even if just hamburger food pantry would love it

DL

Sorry but I can't follow your post at all - give me a description of only the calf that you are currently concerned about - sounds like he could be spastic but need more info..

you are talking about back legs?
does he stand on his toes?
does he swing his legs out when he walks?
does he lie down more than calves his age?
does he shift weight on his back legs?
does he have trouble balancing on the back?
does he seem wide in the front? like 2 sides of a tripod?
does he use his tail for balance?