CRR About Time 743

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rockefeller

Just curious what his calves are looking like?  Heard some great reports early.  Everyone still high on him?  Any pictures?
Thanks

ILHERF

Have heard of mixed results. Ive seen some really good ones, and ive seen some just nice common ones. The one thing i did see that kind of turned me off alittle, was that he puts ALOT of white on them, I saw a couple with pure white legs. I havnt used him personally yet, but just put 3 embryos in yesturday out of him, and we have a cane of sexed semen that we are breeding with next week.  Being a durango son, we have tried to breed him to cows that carry alittle bit more BW, and that are big and soggy, If you are looking for a bull that will stouten one up and deepen one up, I dont think he would be a bull to use, but it you have some big soggy cows, I think he can help them out. 

rkmn

We flushed a good cow to him last year and got a decent bull calf this year. Hope to have more calves next year so we can get a better feel for how he works. I am still hearing some good reports on his calves, though I haven't seen any in person yet. Hope to have more info soon...

CMAHerefords

We bred most of our heifers to him this year.

I know DelHawk Herefords in IL has quite a few calves out of him that didn't look too bad. The calves in Hoffman's sale last year out of him were very popular. I am anxious to see another calf crop out of him this fall and to see how good maternally they are when the first ones start to calve.

PLKR

CMAHerefords said:
We bred most of our heifers to him this year.

I know DelHawk Herefords in IL has quite a few calves out of him that didn't look too bad. The calves in Hoffman's sale last year out of him were very popular. I am anxious to see another calf crop out of him this fall and to see how good maternally they are when the first ones start to calve.
Does that mean that you are concerned about his maternal capabilities??  My guess is his daughters will be good cows--nothing about Durango X Interstate would lead me to believe otherwise. Time will tell, I guess.

herefordfootball

I like Showtime Cattle Co.s' Excel bull compared to About Time. I saw some of his first calves this spring and they knocked my socks off. They truely were impressive calves, plus calving ease. The total package. They were thick, stout, big boned, deep DEEP bodied, and moved as easy as anything out there. I can't wait to see them in the showring this year, I think they are going to rip it up. I've only seen some pics of About Times calves and there is no comparison. I'm not knocking About Time, but if you're looking for calving ease and some sweet calves Excel is the way to go. We've got our only herf heifer this year bred to him.

Sorry I kinda hijacked the thread, but I was just giving you a comparison on the calves and calving ease. Sorry agian, hope I didnt offend anyoone.

CMAHerefords

Does anybody think that about time's BW EPD might go up in the next couple years with everybody thats using him? A couple years ago P606 was a negitive BW and he was used so much in about 2 years time that he is now over a 5 BW if I remember right.

Just a thought

DiamondS

Looking at P606's pedigree, he was destined to be a higher birthweight bull.  Not saying hard calving, just heavier calves....

PLKR

CMAHerefords said:
Does anybody think that about time's BW EPD might go up in the next couple years with everybody thats using him? A couple years ago P606 was a negitive BW and he was used so much in about 2 years time that he is now over a 5 BW if I remember right.

Just a thought
Well, I know one of ours won't help the birth EPD....and, Interstate was not exactly a low BW bull. It's been quite awhile since P606 had a neg. birth EPD--certainly more than a couple of years.