CUMBERLAND GAY LAD x

Help Support Steer Planet:

coyote

This is a picture of a son of  CUMBERLAND GAY LAD x out of a Muridale Buster14K cow. Gay Lad was born in 1966 and was bred by Martin Nold.

Attachments

• cows 2010 045 - Copy.JPG
    cows 2010 045 - Copy.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 413
  • Cumberland_Gay_Lad_x.jpg
    Cumberland_Gay_Lad_x.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 445

Redbulls#2

Nice calf Scot! How was BW? How old is he in the picture? I think some of the old bulls can make a positive influence on today's lines.

coyote

He is 165 days old there and he weighed 82 lbs. I think some of the old bulls should moderate the birth weights and  add some easy fleshing .
One thing I really like about this calf is his testicle development at this age.

justintime

Interesting you posted this tonight. I just had one of our donors, HC FL Elsie's J-Lo 3T x bred to Cumberland Gay Lad today and she will be flushed next week. J-Lo is a full sister to our Elsie's jade donor. I remember Cumberland Gay Lad very well at Charlie Campbell's. He wasn't very tall but he was a tank! Some of his sons were always the top gaining or near the top of the U of S Bull Test in gain and always sold well. When I purchased the Gay Lad semen, Charlie told me he thought the Gay lad offspring would be too small framed for today. I think a few ( not all) of these older sires could work well on some of today's genetics.

Okotoks

Do you have any more calves AI by some of the old bulls?

justintime

Okotoks said:

We have 7 ET calves by Pheasant Creek Leader 4th who was IMO the best of the entire Leader line. They have been an interesting set of calves to watch all summer. They are out of two different donors, Shadybrook Presto 73G and B Good Red Sue 1P. BWs between 78 and 88 lbs with the only two heifers  being the last born and the heaviest at birth. They are all red and polled. Early on they were very impressive, almost identical in design. I thought they were way ahead of our other calves. By mid summer, they seemed to be going through a bit of a gawky stage, and I was uncertain what they were going to develop into. In the past several weeks the Leader calves have again taken off and I think they are looking very good. I think there are some serious herd bulls in the bull calves. The two heifers are going to make real maternal machines, and I expect both will be in our ET program once they enter production. Two of the bulls will be in our show herd, and I am not sure I picked the right two.... they are that close in design

I have a few doses of Banner Royal Oak and some Scotsdale Rodney  that I am waiting for the right female to use it on. Also have about 8 doses of Cumberland Gay Lad yet.

Doc

Okotoks said:

These don't belong to coyote, but these 2 cows are by older bulls. The roan is by Leader 21st. The red one is by Irish Mist. They are both out of the same cow , which is a full Irish cow by the original Deerpark Leader bull.

Attachments

• 21st x Scarlet.JPG
    21st x Scarlet.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 423
  • Irish Mist cow.jpg
    Irish Mist cow.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 444

justintime

I thought coyote might be out playing in the mud so I took the liberty to comment. I was not meaning to hijack this thread. Mud is a new thing in coyote's life and just yesterday on Facebook he commented  " does anyone remember the good old days when we used to have drought?"  I am sure he will respond to this thread when he gets in.

coyote

Yep I was out playing in the mud, we had over 3 inches last week.
Dan we also used Bonneyview Hero 7Z, and Mandalong Super Flag.
This is a hero calf.

Attachments

• cypress 2010 007.JPG
    cypress 2010 007.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 409

coyote

this is another Gay Lad calf.

Attachments

• 5x.JPG
    5x.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 370

Okotoks

A bit hard to tell from the angle of that photo but it looks like the Lad calf has a loin like his sire. What is his dam's breeding. Where are you finding all this older semen?(yes, I know an AI tank) I have some Maplewood Drive Princeton I have been going to use, maybe next year!

justintime

I like the Hero calf and the Gay Lad calves look like they have some jam, yet are soft made. I remember the Hero bull as a very good bull, who never saw much use in his day, as the Bonnyview herd was in it's last days. Too bad I was not smart enough in those days to snap up a bunch of semen from some of these sires back then. It isn't hard to figure out that Cumberland Gay Lad was born in another era.... back when gay meant being happy and jolly. Would anyone name a bull this today... NOT!

coyote

Dan both bull calve's mothers are by Alta Cedar Ultimate 130K.
We got the semen from the guy whos farm name is on the barn in the Gay Lad picture.

Okotoks

Doc said:
Okotoks said:

These don't belong to coyote, but these 2 cows are by older bulls. The roan is by Leader 21st. The red one is by Irish Mist. They are both out of the same cow , which is a full Irish cow by the original Deerpark Leader bull.
They both look like good cows. Interesting how their sires are totally unrelated. What did you breed them back to?

Doc

Okotoks said:
Doc said:
Okotoks said:

They both look like good cows. Interesting how their sires are totally unrelated. What did you breed them back to?

The 21st is nursing a  bull calf by my bull pictured in my avatar. The Irish Mist cow is bred to Moombi Powerplay for a spring calf.

coyote

JIT has these genetics that you are looking for. Irish Mist is one of his old herdsires and he has used Leader 21 st lately.

justintime

Cowfarmer65 said:
Nice calves coyote.
Alta Cedar used a Cumberland Gay Lad son that they had bred......worked alright for them too.
JIT.....any chance you'd sell some of your Rodney semen.

I only have 2 vials of Rodney so unless you want to trade me for a small farm and a few other perks, I will wait for your offer.