Cunia

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

What would Cunia semen be worth these days?  What type of cows would he work on and what are BW's??

OH Breeder

The last I saw it at auction went for 250 straw. saw it as low as 200 but I am not  a resource on the maines. I am sure there is someone on here that will jump in. P-F has used alot of CUnia recently. Hope she replies.

Bawndoh

The origional from the 70's (sorry dont know his full name).  The ledgend.

red

his full name is simply Cunia & he's registration number 11. http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=11

Red

aj

A great bull. But just to tick everybody off he is a monkey mouth carrier. ;D

DL

Picture of Cunia from the 1977 Maine Sire Directory
His 2008 BW EPD is 2.6 (6 star - 10 would be considered calving ease; 1 might be considered trouble in calving land) - the accuracy is 96 percent which is high for the Maines; most of the Cunias I have dealt with or seen out of fullblood cows were in th 90 pound range, but some were considerably bigger. They usually have a fair amount of bone.

For fullbloods he works well on Star Michael daughters
Angus x Cunia females are usually super cows
He has many sons and grandsons that have done well, including Chill Factor, Taz, Trump (yes same Cunia) and others that don't come to mind right now

Semen generally goes from $200 to $400 - depending on demand, who owns it, the economy etc

It is in amps so there is more than in a straw - they say that it was originally frozen at an angle, so that if the amp is flat it may have been thawed - don't know if that is true - JIT might know

Attachments

• Cunia.jpg
    Cunia.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 464

Telos

I think a major part of Cunia's greatness was his ability to downsize and thicken up other cattle.

RSC

DL said:
Picture of Cunia from the 1977 Maine Sire Directory
His 2008 BW EPD is 2.6 (6 star - 10 would be considered calving ease; 1 might be considered trouble in calving land) - the accuracy is 96 percent which is high for the Maines; most of the Cunias I have dealt with or seen out of fullblood cows were in th 90 pound range, but some were considerably bigger. They usually have a fair amount of bone.

For fullbloods he works well on Star Michael daughters
Angus x Cunia females are usually super cows
He has many sons and grandsons that have done well, including Chill Factor, Taz, Trump (yes same Cunia) and others that don't come to mind right now

Semen generally goes from $200 to $400 - depending on demand, who owns it, the economy etc

It is in amps so there is more than in a straw - they say that it was originally frozen at an angle, so that if the amp is flat it may have been thawed - don't know if that is true - JIT might know
Does anyone her have an amp or 2 and want to share a flush?  I provide the cow, you provide the semen and we split it down the middle.

Thanks,

RSC

linnettejane

awesome!  he doesnt look anything like i had imagined.....he looks alot better!!!  thanks dl......

i was thinking he was the same cunia that was in trump!!!  i have been having this ongoing "discussion" with this other shorthorn breeder about trump having maine in him...and she tells me im crazy all the time, he is a purebred.....i said that his papers may say that....but he really isnt, he does have maine in him....

i can't wait to show this to her!!!  :) 

Jill

I haven't ever really understood how but a Fullblood Maine is the same as a 3/4 Shorthorn.

DL

The Shorthorn gurus can probably answer this better than I, but my understanding is that the ASA herd book was opened to Maines (red Maines) sometime during the last century...hence Cunia a fullblood Maine is Trumps grand sire and Trump (*x3909231) is listed by the ASA as 100% Shorthorn.

Purebred (if red) and fullblood Maines can be dual registered as 75% Shorthorn -

shortdawg

Trump has red papers but with an asterik ( * ). Any shorthorn with an ( * ) in front of their registration number has some Maine in their pedigree. In Trump's case and many cattle in the SH breed, that influence comes from Cunia. They have to be 15/16 to be shown in the purebred shows as a purebred.

linnettejane

so does double stuff have maine in him?

we used a purebred red maine bull last year that we registered 3/4 shorthorn...used on purebred short cows and have 7/8 short babies this year...we are going to keep the heifers and breed them to a purebred short for purebred short calves (15/16).....i think thats how it will work....correct me if im wrong...

DL

AHL Double Stuff *3929412 maternal sire is Stinger - a Maine Anjou bull and one of the big 3 carriers of PHA. His paternal grandsire is Deerpark Improver the founder bull for carrying TH. This Double Stuff is a double carrier of genetic defects.

knabe

maine's are 3/4 shorthorn because that's what they genotyped to supposedly, counting DNA markers in common, as opposed to say hereford or angus. as has been mentioned a few times, maine's are a cross between a draft breed, mancelle's, and shorthorns.  i guess they stabilized around 3/4 shorthorn.  it's probably why maine's were stronger fronted as opposed to shorthorns, as the mancelle's were a more draft specific animal than shorthorn, which had many uses.  would like to see how mancelle DNA types to shorthorns, but since there are none that i know of, we will never know.

clifflem

The * just means that they have blood other than Shorthorn, not necessarily Maine.  A lot of the old original appendix Shorthorns had Chi, Sim. and some other things in there as well.  Some of the old original Irish cattle were appendix registered because it was cheaper to register them that way then pay to register them as what they really were.