custom made show box suggestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

We have looked at Sullivan's upright roller style show boxes for a while now, but have never purchased one. I found someone who makes the same kind of show box out of wood. I'm thinking of having a wooden one custom made, but I don't know for sure what I want. We just use a basic chest style box. The kind where you throw everything on the bottom and hope that you find it again!

So please tell me what you do or do not like about your showbox... like drawers in the wrong place or not being deep enough, etc. Thanks!

simba

A good friend of mine made an aluminum tack box for me last year. Between the two of us (he is not involved in the cattle industry) we spent a lot of time planning and designed what I think is a really cool box that a lot of people have commented on.

A few of the features are:
-A small drawer (4 inches high I think) to put pens, pedigrees, snacks, scissors, clips (and everything else that always gets dirty or lost) in.
-A  6 inch high drawer to put combs, show halters, show harnesses, etc in.
-Large drawer that fits feed pans, water buckets, wash stuff, cans, spray bottles, etc. The 3 drawer design keeps everything organized and easy to access.
-Large bottom that can fit two blowers or one blower and a clipper box (or two depending on the size & shape) plus anything else you need to pack.
-The bottom row on the door only fits cans but the rest fit large cans or spray bottles with a sprayer on them.
-The best feature in my opinion is the roller drawers. That was his idea and now I wouldn't have anything else. They slide really nicely and also have a locking feature so that they self-lock if you pull them fully open or fully closed which is nice. (Not really sure how to explain that better).
-I don't really use it much but he put a white plastic piece on the side that works well if you want to tape a poster or flyer to the side of the tack box.

If we ever make another one he is going to put the wheels inside the box because they stick out on the back which makes it take up more space than it needs to and a blower should still fit with the wheels inside.

The best advice I have is think it through really well and start with a good plan. Also consider that wood may get pretty heavy.

Attachments

• 229736_589182241106059_402943174_n.jpg
    229736_589182241106059_402943174_n.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 2,051
  • 485427_589182287772721_1227860827_n.jpg
    485427_589182287772721_1227860827_n.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,147

HavinABlast

This is great - I'm taking notes too!
I have seen some custom ones with something on the back to hold your showsticks in place.

DakotaCow

I would look into putting 13 inch wheels on it instead of the 10 inch wheels they use now. Also look into an easier way to handle and move it once you do get it filled to the brim.

maple view simmys

when I made mine I had small wheels .. have big ones .... make the door as light as possible and make sure to be able to fit 48 packs in the bottom for fair drinkin

aj

Mine would have a vodka dispenser and a hidden compartment for edible marajuana(for the cattle).