Cut Above aka fat butt

Help Support Steer Planet:

bfn5005

Anyone use or know anything about the Simmental bull  Cut Above aka Fat Butt?? heard he does well on Dream On daughters. My main interest is if he will clean my heifers front third up? Thanks.

Dyer Show cattle

He looked great at Nichols last spring, I came home with some straws but did not end up using him just yet. Have plans for him this year with some high percentage simm 2nd and 3rd calvers and maybe using him on some sunseeker and who 3rd calvers. Not sure if he will clean up fronts or not. I was planning on using him last sping but just had the first round of calves out of my new bull that is a TNT Ever Ready son and so pleased with them I let him breed everything I could. If your looking for something to clean up fronts new bull did just the trick. Might look into getting some TNT ever ready and using it. Not sure if he throws cleaner fronts or if its on the dam side of my bull. I have been more pleased with my herd bull than the Lucky Break and Hooks shear force 38K calves I have had in the past out of the same cows.

firesweepranch

I've heard both. There were a bunch of heifers sold in sales bred to him, but I have also been told by others that he can and has thrown big calves. To play it safe, we are only using him on cows until we get a few on the ground to see what the cows do with him (Spring). My heifers are worth too much to ruin by having a big calf. Small and easy for the first, that is our philosophy. There are so many proven bulls out there that throw nice show calves that I can use on my heifers until I can gather information on my own.

coachmac

One heifer out of a Simangus cow.  Cow is out of a dream on son.  So far, so good!  Wide topped and seems to carry that through her floor.  Pretty good hair.  Clean fronted.  Big star in the middle of her forehead.  Ridiculous hip.  Easy to pick the FB calf out in the field! 

C-CROSS

We used a cane of him last year.  They can come Huge.  We liked the calves.  We are just using him on mature cows now.

Simmgal

If you are wondering how Cut Above's siblings look, here is a full brother to him:
http://cattlevisions.com/Simmental/FlyingBFinalCut.php

A little on calving ease and calf size that you probably already know, but I'll just say it incase someone could find it helpful: Calf size is a mix of the cow/heifer, the bull and the environment. If you have a calving ease bull, but the cow has so-so calving ease numbers and is fed a high protein diet the last trimester of her pregnancy, then the calf is more likely to be bigger than a calf out of the same bull bred to a cow with good calving ease who is fed a lower protein ration. I bred a heifer to Cut Above and am just going to watch her closely. If it helps any, our herd sires that we use on or our heifers have similar BW and CE EPD'S to Cut Above, and we have had no problems calving yet. Our old heifer bull that we sold recently had a high BW, and not so great calving ease numbers and out of all the heifers bred to him, we had to pull two MAX.While EPD's are a good tool to use as a predictor of certain traits, they are still easily manipulated. If you are wondering about calving ease, check the accuracy of the EPD's of the bull in question. I uderstand you being concerned about CE for your heifers though. Good luck, and I hope this helps!  ;D