Cutting Hay.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I haven't been on the "Planet" much lately.  We have been in the fields cutting hay.  We will continue that for a month until fair time.

We cut Brome, Timothy, Western Wheatgrass, Oats and Alfalfa.  What varieties of hay do you put up in your part of the country??

Have a great day, keep your water jug filled, and for crying out loud, don't lose the grease gun!! ;D

Attachments

• grease gun.jpg
    grease gun.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 242
  • cutting hay.jpg
    cutting hay.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 204

red

We chop ours but it's a mixutre of alfalfa, clover, wheat, rye & weeds!!!

Red  (clapping)

justintime

We have 1400 acres of alfalfa that we are trying to bale. I really need some help as it should all be put up on the same day. I have tried to find a custom operator who could come but the best I have found is a guy who can come in about 3 weeks. By then, I should have a bunch of this put up.... hopefully anyways.Finding labour( especially farm labour) is extremely hard here. The oil patch takes virtually everyone that can pass a drug test, and they are even having trouble finding workers. They pay much higher wages than anyone in agriculture can afford so it makes it hard to get anyone... male or female. ( Right now a kid just out of high school starting on the rigs can make about $3500 clear a month... those with 5 years experience are in the $9000 to $10,000 per month.)
It is probably the best hay crop we have had in about 8 years so we are very fortunate. After being extremely dry two months ago, we have been getting good rains through mid May to late June. We went from wondering where we were going to pasture our cows to wondering what to do with all the pasture. I have two pastures that have no cattle in them, and it is hard to see the calves in the pastures that do have cattle. All I know is that wet certainly beats dust any day. I sympathize with those who have been dry this year. We certainly have had more than our share of dry in the past several years. I wish I could send some of you some hay, as we certainly will have lots.....is if I ever get it all baled.

red

JIT: Boy, I wish you were closer! We have a great crew of nephews & others. Too bad but good help is always hard to find anywhere!

Red

cowz

justintime said:
We have 1400 acres of alfalfa that we are trying to bale. I really need some help as it should all be put up on the same day. I have tried to find a custom operator who could come but the best I have found is a guy who can come in about 3 weeks. By then, I should have a bunch of this put up.... hopefully anyways.Finding labour( especially farm labour) is extremely hard here. The oil patch takes virtually everyone that can pass a drug test, and they are even having trouble finding workers. They pay much higher wages than anyone in agriculture can afford so it makes it hard to get anyone... male or female. ( Right now a kid just out of high school starting on the rigs can make about $3500 clear a month... those with 5 years experience are in the $9000 to $10,000 per month.)
It is probably the best hay crop we have had in about 8 years so we are very fortunate. After being extremely dry two months ago, we have been getting good rains through mid May to late June. We went from wondering where we were going to pasture our cows to wondering what to do with all the pasture. I have two pastures that have no cattle in them, and it is hard to see the calves in the pastures that do have cattle. All I know is that wet certainly beats dust any day. I sympathize with those who have been dry this year. We certainly have had more than our share of dry in the past several years. I wish I could send some of you some hay, as we certainly will have lots.....is if I ever get it all baled.

I was chatting with a friend who has a peach, apricot orchard and produce farm in NW Colorado.  The oil shale business is so big he cannot get ANY help to pick fruit or vegetables.  The illegals are working in hotels and support jobs for the oil fields, so they have their kids home on furlough from the military, taking their vacations at jobs, junior high kids, just anyone to help out.  I wonder if it is this way all over?

genes

Cowz it's worse...we don't even have illegal workers in Saskatchewan (where JIT is).  Huge amounts of young people leave the province for Alberta (though apparently some bad ones go to Ontario ;P)).  So there are jobs available, and of course if someone is willing to do some work they will choose the high paying oil rigs to farm work.  Lots of farm kids go do that right out of high school.

justintime said:
All I know is that wet certainly beats dust any day. I sympathize with those who have been dry this year. We certainly have had more than our share of dry in the past several years.

That's for sure.  I'm just glad I made it out of the last drought alive without giant grasshoppers eating me from the legs up.