CWA Prospect Steer (updated pic Nov-28)

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyisqueen

Hi all,
I posted this in the Classifieds also, since that's where it might belong, but I'm posting here at the request of another member...in case you don't read the Classified section! Sorry to those who have viewed him already.  Anyways, this is a prospect steer that we are taking to show and sell at the Canadian Western Agribition. He is a Daines Thriller son (PB Maine) out of a Hereford-Shorthorn cow (the cow is sired by my bull Maverick -  a few of you may know of him). He is a two-year olds first calf, so I'm pretty pleased with her first effort.

These aren't exactly popular 'clubby' genetics, so I'm interested to hear any comments you might have. Anyone else out there using 'unclubby' genetics to get 'show cattle' results?

Attachments

• F1000007.jpg
    F1000007.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 816
  • F1000021.jpg
    F1000021.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 796
  • F1000024.jpg
    F1000024.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 763
  • F1010014.jpg
    F1010014.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 744

jimmyski

I like him a lot from what I can see in the pictures. He's got plenty of muscle, is deep bodied and looks like he'll be an easy feeding type of calf. I also think that he is pretty correct in most of his angles although he might toe out a little bit off of his right front but not too bad. I might also like to level him up just a notch from his hooks to his pins, but overall that's just being a little bit nit picky on a really nice animal. Hope everything goes well for you showing him. Good Luck.

Jim

CAB

A good one is a good one. He's a nice steer. We need to move back in that direction to help with structure problems. Did you look @ Tottenclubcalves recent purchase. She was out of a true F-1 baldy cow. Alot of Herefords are very deep ribbed & chested. Helps if they they can eat alot of calories when you're trying to get'em to town.

shortyisqueen

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Jim, I agree with you on what you pointed out in the pictures. I  took these before his foot trim, (didn't want to get him stirred up on the table before getting out the camera). We did his feet this weekend.  He didn't need anything more than a cosmetic trim, but that seemed to help put all his toes into line and put his pins a bit more level. He could probably use a bit more hair too. He's got a great undercoat, but a little more length would be nice...but that is coming. He's not fitted up in the picture, just blown out with a bit of zoom bloom,  so I figure he'll look pretty fair once he gets his Armani suit on.

CAB, I did see TottenClubCalves new purchase - I really like her - Even more so than the other heifers he was looking at. I think he got a steal at the price he paid. I can just picture her making a really stand-out cow in a couple years. The Herefords definitely add some feed efficiency. Back before I diluted the Herd with a bit of Shorthorn blood, I only ever had Hereford steers to show in 4-H and there wasn't too many that I didn't have to hold for two months before the show. They were finished at 13 months!!!  I might be a little biased, but I also think they add to the docility as well...

TurkeyCreekRanch...thanks!!!

OH Breeder

Nice calf. I like his overrall appeal. Nice hair and looks like he is going to be moderate in his finish or apperance. Not real extreme. Good steer and eye appealing. Would like to level him out over the hip but looks like  a good one to me. Congrats.
Genetics in my opinion clubby or not, if they produce a marketable calf that fits the bill then so be it. I have had soem of the best calves this past year from "unclubby" genetics.
JMO

shortyisqueen

Thanks OH Breeder, I agree with you on your thoughts on producing a marketable calf. Just curious as to what 'non-clubby' genetics you are using? IMVHO, it usually  takes a good 'non-clubby' cow to raise a good 'clubby' calf...

garybob

shortyisqueen said:
Thanks OH Breeder, I agree with you on your thoughts on producing a marketable calf. Just curious as to what 'non-clubby' genetics you are using? IMVHO, it usually  takes a good 'non-clubby' cow to raise a good 'clubby' calf...
I've been saying that very, exact thing, for months, on this forum. High-Five!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH Breeder

shortyisqueen said:

Well, my best steer calf came from Wakaru bloodlines crossed with Sonny. I don't consider Sonny clubby. The cow also goes back to Greenridge shorthorns as well as other old shorthorn lines. The dam usually produces very marketable females and this year threw one heck of a steer calf for us.
I also have a cow that was bred with OCC and WECC genetics which I used my shorthorn bull a sonny son on and have been able to produce some sleepers.
I am strongly thinking of flushing the above mentioned cow to TPS Coronet Leader in hopes of getting more females.

shortyisqueen

For those interested parties (Knabe!!),  ;D  here's an updated pic of our Thriller steer from Agribition.

Attachments

• Thriller-Steer.jpg
    Thriller-Steer.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 462

CAB

Like I said B4, a good one's, a good one. Congrats on your steer.
  Did any of you happen to catch Jirl Buck & company on the Cattle Show last evening? There was some ref. made to the effect that the club world & the commercial world headed in the same direction.Anyway, it was nice to put a face on Jirl for me. I happened to graduate from the same HS as Dave Steen. His youngest brother was a classmate of mine. Trivia for some of you that run across Dave Steen. He was drafted by the NY Yankees as a pitcher, but didn't make it out of their minor leagues. He could throw hard.

knabe

awesome, were you "thrilled"?

can you send me some full res pics in my email pretty please?  check pm

i think mr. jirl buck is going to suprise the show world in a few years.

what's the cattle show, tv? and uh, did you tape it?

Telos

Great looking calf. I know Daines Thriller was very popular in Canada. 4E Maines in Oklahoma showed a son that was division champ at Denver a few years ago and he too was a really nice bull. Is semen available on him?

Doc

knabe said:
awesome, were you "thrilled"?

can you send me some full res pics in my email pretty please?  check pm

i think mr. jirl buck is going to suprise the show world in a few years.

what's the cattle show, tv? and uh, did you tape it?
The cattle show comes on RFD-TV . I believe you can order copies of the show from them. It was pretty good last night.

shortyisqueen

Telos said:
Great looking calf. I know Daines Thriller was very popular in Canada. 4E Maines in Oklahoma showed a son that was division champ at Denver a few years ago and he too was a really nice bull. Is semen available on him?

There is still semen available on him. PM me if you need a name and I will look up the fellow we've gotten it from for the last couple of years. Thriller was popular in Canada, but I don't think as popular as he could have been North America-wide. I think there is beginning to be a resurgence up here as a few people have taken out some really smokin' calves, so people are starting to wonder what he could do for their programs. Thriller was syndicated for $20 000 but immediately  after he was collected, he was injured and had to be destroyed. I think this sort of made a dent in any huge swing in popularity or demand for semen. Had he been around for a bit longer, who knows what impact he may have had. 

A couple longtime Maine breeders were sitting around at one of our summer shows this year and named him as one of the most overlooked club calf bulls. As for the bull himself, one of my dad's friends  worked at the stud he was collected at back in the day and said Thriller was a beautiful bull. We've used him  a bit and he's made us quite a bit of $$. Plus he calves heifers like a dream. The steer pictured is a two year old's first baby. I think he came out weighing 82 lbs...

PS, Thanks everyone for the congrats! We were indeed 'thrilled!'  ;D
PPS, Who knew there was a tv program called the Cattle Show. It sounds interesting. I wish I had known it existed!

knabe

there is a pick of thriller in an old issue of voice, i think 1997 or so, in the same issue as the article about a cow with a broken leg.

it's not a good picture and it accentuates height as it's taken too low, but back then frame was in

DL

Really nice calf. Good job.

Thriller is a Caesar out of a Smithbilt cow - Daines really had some excellent cattle (probably still do) but the border closing put a big kibash on the trading of genetics  - which was a shame

I have a picture of Thriller I can scan.....

DL

Here's Thriller (from a 1997 ad in the Voice)

Attachments

• Daines Thriller.jpg
    Daines Thriller.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 308