Cycling first calf heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dixie

I need some input please. I have a first calf heifer who calved in March unassisted, and still has not cycled. This heifer caught first service last year is good body condition with a good mineral program, has been vaccinated etc. We have used the seven day CIDR protocol, no response, gave another shot of Lut at 12 days, no response. On the advise of someone else we have now run another seven day CIDR protocol and still nothing at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dixie

frostback

How many and what other cows is she with? Is there just no riding but some discharge? Have you had her palpated? I have one cow that no other cow will ride, I only noticed that she bled off a few days ago  but noticed nothing else. At least now I have a date that I can give her a shot and at least time breed or she will get a embryo.

leanbeef

Turn her out with a bull. I've seen young cows be slow to return to estrous after calving, and nothing will jump start her cycle like being with a bull can.

Dixie

Frostback she is with a dozen cows with calves at side and four yearling heifers. One good 'ole cow is as good as a gomer bull, just one of the many reasons she stays around. We are out amongst them a couple of times a day and no there has been no discharge, nothing. Good luck to you with yours.
Leanbeef, turning her out with a bull is what I would do if I had a bull to run. Fortunately the past few years we have been able to catch everyone with A.I. and keep them within the calving window we shoot for so keeping a bull around just hasn't made sense. I guess this is one of those times that having the bull would come in useful.
Hay is short this year and time is running out, she may be down the road. She is a promising heifer and is doing a good job with this years calf so that may be her saving grace.

CAB

How many days post calving is she & what is her BCS? She may be cystic so like someone suggested, you may want to have her palpated.

frostback

I would have her papated by someone who is very good. a embryologist maybe. They should be able to see where she is in her cycle or if she is cystic, then tell you what drugs would actually work, at where she is. Is she low cow on the totem, mine is and always is a ways away from the herd so the slightest sign may be what you go by. Bawling, walking into the herd even if she is just run back out, and older bull calves with her that are not hers. This time of year with our heat is tough to get them very active, had another that if we were not watering, and them all bunched up would have been missed. Make sure you are up early enough and mix the cows up and bunch them together and then late enough when it cool, if its ever cool again. Good luck its frustrating and the second calvers I feel are the hardest to get bred back.

Mill Iron A

Many of the reproductive physiologists I have spoken with highly recommend putting in a sidewinder with your second calvers 35 days average postpartum. Get her time bred after palpating.  In your position thats all you can do.

Limiman12

Is there a neighbor or friend you can put her with their cows....  Work something out, but if you are short hay paying to feed her at his place for a while might be worth it if it gets a good young cow bred.....