Cyrus (Hereford)

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsuhr

What kind of luck have people had with him? What does he work best on? Pictures of calves?

obie105

We had some pretty good luck with him on just plain cows. They are pretty I guess but not alot of extra mass to them. Had a nice heifer and steer both went to 4h families a year ago. I attached a pic of our heifer.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 184

jsuhr

Thanks! I was just curious to see what he threw. I was thinking about using him on a few cows but wasn't necessarily sure what I would have expected. So nothing too special then, just your run of the mill wanna-be club calf hereford sire? (lol)

obie105

They both had some decent hair to them and cleaned up pretty good but neither one was a barn burner maybe on different cows. Im not going to bash him its not like the calves were horrible lol The steer gained very well. Just nothing extra special.

cebwtx

A boy in our FFA had a steer from him this year. Puppy dog gentle fair eye appeal but was very large framed. He got to 1400 lbs and was not finished out. Kind of same take as early post might be great on some cows but not a home run on the one I was around.

DLD

I bought a black cow bred to Baton Rouge, which is a full sib to Cyrus.  She's a Hairy Bear out of a Freestyle x Meyer 734 cow, and as you might imagine she's real moderate framed and big bodied.  She had a black brockle faced heifer that was really nice.  She brought a nice premium as a replacement going into a club calf herd.  I've been told by several that Baton Rouge is a notch smaller framed and heavier boned than Cyrus, so he might be something to consider.