Daily Summer Care

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

6 a.m.- Rinse heifers, comb/brush them for a half hour under fans.
6 30 a.m.- Blow heifers out and start soaking beet pulp.  We spray in kleen sheen/vinegar mixture then too.
7 a.m.- Feed heifers and tie down for the morning
1 p.m.- Rinse heifers again, and brush them for a half hour again, and then I let them stand for another half hour or so.  Water the heifers now too, and give some hay.
2 pm.- blow heifers out, tie them down.
6 p.m. - Rinse heifers again, same routine as 6 a.m. routine.

Walk the calves around the farm at dusk, and turn them out.

inthebarnagain

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
6 a.m.- Rinse heifers, comb/brush them for a half hour under fans.
6 30 a.m.- Blow heifers out and start soaking beet pulp.  We spray in kleen sheen/vinegar mixture then too.
7 a.m.- Feed heifers and tie down for the morning
1 p.m.- Rinse heifers again, and brush them for a half hour again, and then I let them stand for another half hour or so.  Water the heifers now too, and give some hay.
2 pm.- blow heifers out, tie them down.
6 p.m. - Rinse heifers again, same routine as 6 a.m. routine.

Walk the calves around the farm at dusk, and turn them out.

So when can I bring Caitlins heifers up?  (thumbsup)

shortyjock89

CM Cattle said:
With that scheduel you must not have a life outside of cattle ofs.

Not much of one to be honest.  The good part is, my girlfriend likes the cattle, so she doesn't mind spending alot of time in the barn...there are folks around me that probably do more work than I do in the barn.

ROAD WARRIOR

Back in the day...... when I worked alot of show cattle for other people, I would spend 12 to 16 hours a day in the barn working hair etc. Long days but I kind of miss it today. The more you rinse, brush and blow the better off you will be in the hair growing and handleing of the calves. RW

bcosu

well, if you want to sacrifice the 1 o'clock rinsing then you can get some stuff done. since i have to help out on the rest of the farm i end up rinsing and brushing and feeding in the morning and then leaving them tied down until in the evening when we rinse again.

shortyjock89

cbcfarms said:
well, if you want to sacrifice the 1 o'clock rinsing then you can get some stuff done. since i have to help out on the rest of the farm i end up rinsing and brushing and feeding in the morning and then leaving them tied down until in the evening when we rinse again.

I have to help on the rest of the farm too, but if I'm the one spending the money on the feed and calves and electricity, then dad says for me, the barn can come first. When we're baling hay, I eat a sandwich when I'm rinsing at 1 and that counts as lunch.