Dairy Cow People????

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

Does anyone know of a good website where we can download some dairy terms & dairy cow pictures to help prep for a dairy judging contest.

I tried Hoards & all their info is $$$ and is sent via mail .. I need it sooner than the USPS can get it to me.. 

chiangus

I used to judge a little, but it has been years ago.  I think the udder was of udder importance.  ;D  Really the primary purpose is the udder for a dairy cow so balance, texture, placement of teats, etc is judged strongly.

Also the soundness and depth of the cow.

TMJ Show Cattle

Google dairy cattle judging.  University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois, University of Minnesota have several sites.  GOOD LUCK !!  Carrie

kanshow

Thanks!  I found something that is put out by the Holstein Foundation.  I printed it off & the kiddos are reviewing the terminolgy now.  The score sheet says the udder counts for 40%.  hmm..  I truly wonder how they are going to do. 

TMJ Show Cattle

I was on the Michigan State Livestock judging team and we recruited my friend who was on the dairy judging team to fill in for someone.  We told her to judge the exact OPPOSITE .  The dairy cow is judged on the mammary system first.  She needs high and strong fore and rear udder attachments.  She also is judged on the balance of the udder.  She will be very angular compared to a beef cow .  She needs LOTS of rib.  Just tell them she needs to eat LOTS of forage to make LOTS of milk.

Hope this helps.....

kanshow

Thanks!  They are pretty good livestock & horse judges ... but I honestly don't think they've ever seen a dairy cow IRL .. except maybe at the state fair.  There just aren't any dairys around here anymore. 

BCCC

TMJ Show Cattle said:
I was on the Michigan State Livestock judging team and we recruited my friend who was on the dairy judging team to fill in for someone.  We told her to judge the exact OPPOSITE .  The dairy cow is judged on the mammary system first.  She needs high and strong fore and rear udder attachments.  She also is judged on the balance of the udder.  She will be very angular compared to a beef cow .  She needs LOTS of rib.  Just tell them she needs to eat LOTS of forage to make LOTS of milk.

Hope this helps.....
You also want them to have alot of clevage, and you dont want the cows to have alot of muscle in their thighs. The thinner the better means they are doign their job converting feed to milk, you want zero fat, if you can see the distinct outline of an intestine, shes still to fat....okay well maybe not that thin  ;D ;D . She also needs big ole pelvic bones, and the more slope from hooks to pins the better. I will go look around for my book bag, and see if I can find all my judging notes.

BCCC

I have found all my notes(about 20 pages). They have pictures of terrible, in between and ideal - chest and body, Rump width, foot shape, Dairy character, rear legs, pelvic angle, teat placement, suspensory(cleavage), and udder depth, along with terminology, dairy breeds, dairy reason, and how they are given points. I also have dairy score cards running around some where.

General Appearance-
Breed Character-5%
Front End-5%
Shoulder Blade-5%
Back-5%
Feet and Legs-15%
Dairy Character-20%
Body Capacity-10%
Udder-
Fore Udder-6%
Rear Udder-8%
Udder Support-11%
Teats-5%
Balance, Symmetry, and Quality-5%
For a total of I hope 100% lol

edit: spelling

I also sent you a PM

TMJ Show Cattle

HA HA !  Yes, cleaveage is a big deal in the dairy world !!  The median suspensory ligament is what supports the udder.  If it is poor, she will only last a lactation or two.  The udder will fall apart, so to speak.  The teats should all point down.  If they are too close together or too big, you can't get a milker on them.  You don't want a frail cow, but you don't want her too stout either.  She should have what I call "happy lines" on her side, across the ribs.  This is an indication of good rumen function.  Body condition scoring is different in dairy than in beef.  We like a 2.5 -3.0 BCS on a early to mid lactation dairy cow.  As far as the udder depth, you want the udder above the hock.  This goes along with good support.

yousesteers

Been  a while since I was on  a dairy team about 12 or 13 years but form what I remember you wanted the udder uniform and symetric no extra teats good High muscle to hold the udder up and not to fat they had to be sound and angular on the dry heifers they looked a lot at EPDs and the soundness and frame size of the animal