DB Cooper- thoughts?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Totally off the cattle subject!
for those of you too young to remember this here is a brief recap of the story. Maybe one of the great mysteries. Is it his? did he make it? where's the money if not. somehow I think Knabe will put his usual ( or unusual) twist on this!  ;)

From AOL news
SEATTLE (March 26) - Hoping to solve at least part of a 36-year-old mystery, the FBI is analyzing a torn, tangled parachute found in southwest Washington to determine if it belonged to famed plane
hijacker D.B. Cooper.

Children playing outside their home near Amboy found the chute's fabric sticking up from the ground in an area where their father had been grading a road, agent Larry Carr said Tuesday. They pulled it out as far as they could, then cut the parachute's ropes with scissors.

The children had seen recent media coverage of the case — the FBI launched a publicity campaign last fall, hoping to generate tips on the unsolved highjacking — and they urged their dad to call the agency.

"When we went to the public, the whole idea was that the public is going to bring the answers to us," Carr said. "This is exactly what we were hoping for."

In November 1971, a man identifying himself as Dan Cooper — later mistakenly but enduringly identified as D.B. Cooper — hijacked a Northwest Orient flight from Portland, Ore., to Seattle, claiming he had a bomb.

When the plane landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, he released the passengers in exchange for $200,000 and asked to be flown to Mexico. On the flight to Mexico City, he apparently took the cash and parachuted from the plane's back stairs somewhere near the Oregon border.

Agents doubt he survived because conditions were poor and the terrain was rough, but few signs of his fate have been found. The parachute was discovered about 160 miles south of Seattle, near the border.

Carr spoke with the children's father, whom he declined to identify, early this month and learned the chute was white, the same color as Cooper's.

And when Carr overlaid the family's address onto a map investigators made in the early days of the investigation, he learned another encouraging fact: They lived right in Cooper's most probable landing zone, between Green and Bald mountains.

Carr hopped in his car and drove down. He dug around the property for about 45 minutes, unsuccessfully looking for a harness or other remains from the parachute, but the children weren't home, and the father wasn't sure exactly where they found it.

There are no obvious markings on the parachute to indicate whether it's the type Cooper used, a Navy Backpack 6 with a 26-foot canopy, Carr said. He's hoping a member of the public who has expertise in the parachutes will come forward and confirm whether it's the right kind before the FBI bothers to excavate the property. Barring that, the agency could turn to scientific analysis of the fabric.

"We've got to be pretty darn sure we're not wasting time and money here," he said.

If it is Cooper's parachute, that will solve one mystery — where he apparently landed — but it will raise another, Carr said.

In 1980, a family on a picnic found $5,880 of Cooper's money in a bag on a Columbia River beach, near Vancouver. Some investigators believed it might have been washed down to the beach by the Washougal River. But if Cooper landed near Amboy and stashed the money bag there, there's no way it could have naturally reached the Washougal.

"If this is D.B. Cooper's parachute, the money could not have arrived at its discovery location by natural means," Carr said. "That whole theory is out the window."

xxcc

i think DB Cooper lives here in Montana.  there is a gentleman moved into the area a few years ago and bought a ranch, turned it into a conservation preserve and started having local contractors repair roads, build a new house, etc. cleaning the place up.  as the contractors began dealing with the man, it was n oted that he was particularly strange, on the verge of paranoid and here's the kicker, only ever paid with cash, OLD cash and always cash.  none of it has been counterfeit.

i haven't researched DB Cooper enough, but I along with many others joke that it's him.  hell, Ted Kazinsky (sp? aka Unabomber) lived about 70 miles away as a crow flies.

knabe

in the bay area in 1970, one could have purchased an 1800 sqft house, 4 bdrm, 2 bath for about 20,000.  willie mays at the time was probably making something over 100,000 at the time.  i think either him or mickey mantle were the first to have a 100,000 contract in the early 60's.  he drove around in a pink cadillac with a license plate, "sey Hey".  my dad was in the navy at the time, probably drawing 15-20k.  the book my side of the mountain was popular at the time and kids dreamed of "living" off the land and living "tech" free.  we still had a zenith black and white tv, either a 10 or 12 inch, as i remember watching batman while taking a bath in black and white.  we used to watch 3 stooges, which was in black and white, mayberry rfd and many other shows, and everyone wanted to see tarzan with maureen o'sullivan (a double) imagining she was naked after she was thrown off the branch by tarzan.  it was obviously cut from the tv showing  my mom didn't like johnny weismuller throwing her off and treating her kind of rough.  it was pretty funny to see all the indian elephants with their pasted on ears.

cowz

I always thought DB was living off the grid, in a yurt or wikkiup, sneaking into town to buy propane and candy bars somewhere in the strange northwest.........or was that sasquatch?

Jill

knabe said:
in the bay area in 1970, one could have purchased an 1800 sqft house, 4 bdrm, 2 bath for about 20,000.  willie mays at the time was probably making something over 100,000 at the time.  i think either him or mickey mantle were the first to have a 100,000 contract in the early 60's.  he drove around in a pink cadillac with a license plate, "sey Hey".  my dad was in the navy at the time, probably drawing 15-20k.  the book my side of the mountain was popular at the time and kids dreamed of "living" off the land and living "tech" free.  we still had a zenith black and white tv, either a 10 or 12 inch, as i remember watching batman while taking a bath in black and white.  we used to watch 3 stooges, which was in black and white, mayberry rfd and many other shows, and everyone wanted to see tarzan with maureen o'sullivan (a double) imagining she was naked after she was thrown off the branch by tarzan.  it was obviously cut from the tv showing  my mom didn't like johnny weismuller throwing her off and treating her kind of rough.  it was pretty funny to see all the indian elephants with their pasted on ears.

I hate to disagree with you, but we are the same age and I never "everyone wanted to see tarzan with maureen o'sullivan (a double) imagining she was naked after she was thrown off the branch by tarzan."

red

off track but going on the ape theme. I heard that people are objecting to the new cover of Vouge magazine. Jame LeBaron, basketball star, is w/ a model. They say it's sterotypical of the black man being prtrayed as an ape & the white woman in his clutches.

Red

knabe

"everyone" is a common metaphor for one's peer group, in my case, in 1970, a bunch of 8-10 year old boys, wondering whether we should purchase the new lou brock baseball shoe which made you look like a dork, or just purchase the regular ones with the cheap cleats that wore out after 5 or 6 games that "everyone" had to buy with allowance or lawn money.  i'm pretty sure that that at the time, this was the closest thing to nudity one could see at the time, other than pencil drawing books of the human form.

http://sneakers.pair.com/g-u.htm#USPatent3629962

lebron, gisele photo.  it's obvious both were forced to do this.  obama got to say what the stereotypical white person is the other day, what's the big deal, why are people in the PC media so uptight about?  and keeping on that theme.  who gets to decide reparations and how much?  won't matter anyway, becuase medicare will be bankrupt in about 10-12 years anyway, and you will see rationing.  everyone will be screaming at everyone about everything playing into the game of divide and conqueur.

me, i just want catastrophic insurance and pay the rest out of pocket and let me keep whatever is paid by who i work for for health insurance.

won't happen, because everyone will "ape" for more handouts, especially from those awful rich people.

Attachments

• so-brock.jpg
    so-brock.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 641

ROAD WARRIOR

red said:
Dusty said:
I'm DB Cooper!

somehow I'm not surprised although I wonder if you were born then?

Some how I have my doubts on Dusty's birth date, but he is in the show steer business, maybe the the birth date was slid!  :)  RW

Dusty

ROAD WARRIOR said:
red said:
Dusty said:
I'm DB Cooper!

somehow I'm not surprised although I wonder if you were born then?

Some how I have my doubts on Dusty's birth date, but he is in the show steer business, maybe the the birth date was slid!  :)  RW

Yeah and I spent most of the 200K on beer, women, and cattle...The rest I just wasted....

shortdawg

Red, That's it !! The mystery has been solved - Knabe is DB Cooper and he is living and posting right her in our midst !!! :-\

knabe

i'm only 48, i think DB should be around 65-75 if he survived the jump.  seems he had to fumble a little bit to get all the stuff out of the airplane, 4 parachutes, 1 bomb, the money.  i couldn't determine from reports if he left the bomb on board.  would be interesting if he did and it.  FBI didnt' say either way.

red

wonder if he actually had a bomb? He left a tie clip behind, seems a little careless in that fact.

I would have put Knabe more as the Unabomer type! But not living in a shack or in the wildnerness. He's more an out in the open type!

Red  ;)

itk

There is a show on Discovery Channel about DB Cooper as I am typing this. I'm sure it will help us clear up his real identity. I vote for Knabe over Dusty.