Dead Hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle7

I have a walks alone heifer that has gobs of hair! She has been turned out in the lot with very little daily work for about a month in hopes that she would shuck that dead hair on her own. She has shucked some but not all of it. Our county is in July & we start working heifers hard for county about the second week of May. I have the "shedding comb" that Bobby May recommended at one of his clinics that she gets brushed with. I need her to shuck the rest of the dead so i can start working the new. Any suggestions?

glw

We use the black brick that used for pigs and grills

rackranch

IMO, very little work is not the way to go.  When I'm trying to get rid of dead hair, and make a nice healthy coat, we work ours daily.

mainecattlemother

We work ours with the show me comb.  We have a Simmi like this.  We use to show clubbies and have a few left and in the past we clipped the calves in January or Feb and then worked with the hair as much as possible.  We did this with our Simmi steer.  He is actually a Triple C x Hired Man so half blood but he has awesome hair now but our Simmi heifer not quite the same situation.  The person we got her from told us not to clip this winter as her cow family had good hair.  We were told to dye the hair and this would help her chuck the rest of her dead hair so we have plans to do this on a nice warm day this week.  Definately not today in West Central, MN.

Glorifying Pastures

We use a comb from Sullivan's, it's actually a dog grooming comb cost about $25.00. Works awesome. We work three of our Hereford hiefers on a daily basis. Removing dead hair and getting ready for shows is alot of work, as we found out as this is our first year in showing beef. Thanks for all the great info we receive on the forums.
Good luck, Have fun and God Bless.