Deer & Blue Tongue

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

Has anybody else been coming up with alot of dead deer do to the (was, it rained for 5 straight days) drought, maybe DL could enlighten us... ???

jason

I almost made a deer dead the other night when he sprinted across the highway.  We have been fine here, but probably had more rain.

farmboy

lol, my dad hit2 deer in 2 days, a 100 pound doe and the next day a 300 lb buck..

we've found about 20 dead ones around the area, one actually died in our pond, game warden says its from gnats, and it has a little effect on bovines...

Show Heifer

Don't know where your from farmboy, but remember, the DNR has every reason to deny knowledge of deer disease. If deer would happen to get a disease that would spread to livestock, just think of the ramifications....
So of course the deer died of "knats" or old age, or whatever....anything but a disease!!
I had a deer several years ago go through my front windshield, and out my back window.....talk about EEEEKKKKKK!!!!!! :eek:

Show Heifer

Sorry for the misinterpatation. I am not a fan of the DNR. I often think they are more concerned about the money they get from hunters than actually wildlife management.

CJB

Farmboy, you are from southern Ohio, correct?

If so, remember that there has been a lot of cases of EHD, epizootic hemorrhagic disease, being transmitted from deer to cattle.  I know of numerous cases in both Pike and Highland counties.  If you have had that many deer found dead on your property, you should contact your local extension agent to have him come ouot and take a look also.  Be afraid of EHD as it hasn't ever transmitted to cattle before, and treatment options are not the greatest as of yet.

Hope that the freeze warning that is scheduled for tonight occurs, because that will eliminate a lot of the gnats that carry the disease from the infected deer into your cow herd.

JbarL

deer in washington co  and athens co  found dead by the hundreds,over the last month.....no ones reported any cattle problems to us yet....going up thursday for about 3 weeks......(turn up the heat please  :eek:).....lookin' forward to some squirrel gravy and bisquits  (clapping)  (home sweet home!)  jbarl

Malinda

I live in Pike County but have a Highland County address, so I have been right in the middle of the EHD outbreak since about mid summer. I know of at least 5 herds of cattle that have been affected; some folks with as many 15 cases. None of the cattle have died but it has really hit the deer hard.

Farmboy... I think the reason you found a deer in the pond is that they get dehydrated and run a fever, so they go to water. I also strongly believe that deer that are injured from cars, hunters, whatever go to water to drown themselves. I have seen them do that multiple times.

The farmer behind me told me that when they took off the crops they found 26 dead deer. A hunter found one in the creek behind my house. I have seen vultures in record numbers and get a whiff of a dead animal every once in a while. We have had 3 very large frosts, so maybe the gnats will disappear.

I have considered myself very lucky; no problem with my cattle. I am almost anal about keeping flies off my cows. Don't know if my fly control has helped keep the gnats at bay or if I have just been lucky.

jbarL...send me some of that squirrel gravy.....I LOVE it.

See you all at the NAILE and good luck to all exhibitors.

Malinda

farmboy

well, i havent found any dead ones for about 2 weeks and its frosted about all week and it rained for about 4 days, none of our cows have been infected