Defect or just tough luck?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSIMMENTALS

We have a calf with some issues. He doesn't fully fit into any of the genetic defects I know of, but I could be wrong. He is fine back to his flank/hooks. Then he seems to slope off steep into his pins. Underdeveloped hindquarters and the rear legs are bad. Hock is stiff; will not move either way with firm pressure. Pastern is also set stiff. Rear legs stick out in a sort of exaggerated sickle hocked and bowlegged  position. Cannot stand on his own but can when we get him up and provide support. The rear foot on one leg is turned in so that he stands on his lower leg rather than his hoof. Will take a bottle/wants to live; which is what makes it so sad.Unless things change overnight we will have to put him down in the morning.

But what is this? Can they be misshapen on some freak mix up or is it some sort of genetic defect. Cow is simm x char x herf. Sire is simm x an. Sorry no pics. Maybe tomorrow.

QMC

May be white muscle disease.  try selenium.  We had one just like that and I was told that was what it was.  The cow stepped on the calf and broke one of its front legs before we could see if the BO-SE would work.

DL

SSIMMENTALS said:
We have a calf with some issues. He doesn't fully fit into any of the genetic defects I know of, but I could be wrong. He is fine back to his flank/hooks. Then he seems to slope off steep into his pins. Underdeveloped hindquarters and the rear legs are bad. Hock is stiff; will not move either way with firm pressure. Pastern is also set stiff. Rear legs stick out in a sort of exaggerated sickle hocked and bowlegged  position. Cannot stand on his own but can when we get him up and provide support. The rear foot on one leg is turned in so that he stands on his lower leg rather than his hoof. Will take a bottle/wants to live; which is what makes it so sad.Unless things change overnight we will have to put him down in the morning.

But what is this? Can they be misshapen on some freak mix up or is it some sort of genetic defect. Cow is simm x char x herf. Sire is simm x an. Sorry no pics. Maybe tomorrow.

Did you run your hands down his spine? (If not do so :) - Does it feel normal all the way from his neck to his tail?? If not what do you feel - see?