dehorning

Help Support Steer Planet:

jasper

Ok..my friend has a limi X heiffer, she was dehorned when she was a calf. She has little horn- nubs (only way I can explain it) Someone told her to file them off with a rast(sp?) and file til they bleed.

So, their going to put her in the chute and do it. After they are done, should they pour iodine on them? or what ? They cant be surgically removed because they are taking calf to a show next month.

thanks Jasper........ <cowboy>

kfacres

we'll that might work, but I'd think they nubs would grow back...

how much can you see them, if they're not noticeable, I'd just leave em alone.  I guarantee it won't be the first time a heifer gets showed with nubs. 

jasper

they're very noticable........I guess thats why the guy suggested they do that. IDK  Was just curious about the iodine as I googled and lots of the stuff warns about infections and stuff.
Just call me clueless ;)  But, I figured lots of folks on here would chime in..

bovine and equine

We just did this in Sept before World Beef Expo.  We took a hoof nippers and cut off as much as we could and then filed them flat.  She never bled or even moved.

afhm

If its a month before the show you can have them cosmetically removed.  There was a steer that was reserve at naile a few years ago that was re-dehorned less than 2 weeks before the show.

knabe

i paste mine if i feel anything after about a week and keep the calves separate for about 4 hours.  i haven't tried one of those dog anti chewer head things, but i might try it next year to keep them from scratching them with their hind legs.

jasper

Knabe where do you get the paste, or whats the name?

How long does it take to work ?

xxcc

Good heavens, you guys sound barbaric...I thought I was pretty cowboyish about some stuff.  Get a set of these type of dehorners, make sure you get a hair ring past the horn, or the horn will grow back, and if you want, paste it with Dr. Naylor's dehorning paste.

dehorners - http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30E07966-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5&item=17098&ccd=IFF003&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_content=17098

paste - http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07ae2-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
(I'm not sure what the difference is, but I like the stuff in the white and orange bottle better than the yellowish and orange bottle.

CJC

afhm said:
If its a month before the show you can have them cosmetically removed.  There was a steer that was reserve at naile a few years ago that was re-dehorned less than 2 weeks before the show.
I agree there is plenty of time to do this. If it's done right you can put the halter back on in 3 days.

BCCC

CJC said:
afhm said:
I agree there is plenty of time to do this. If it's done right you can put the halter back on in 3 days.
or if done wrong it can take over a month to heal and have stiches half ways down the side of the head.