Denver Steer Show WINNER IS.......2008 who will it be this year???

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeDirt

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20080125/NEWS/967777376

DENVER -- Maynard won the biggest prize in Shelby Kroupa's life Thursday when he was named grand champion steer at the 2008 National Western Stock Show.

The 1,312-pound black crossbred topped the 64 head of steers in this year's show, including one exhibited by MacKenzi Dorsey of Satin, Texas. She is the granddaughter of Bob and Barbara Dorsey of Eaton and won the livestock show in Houston last year with a steer that was similar to the one she brought to Denver. That steer brought $80,000 in the Houston sale.

The two steers, however, are not related, she said.

"He's pretty nice," MacKenzi, 17, said of the steer she called Mustard, which was about his color. She said she has another at home she will take to a show in Fort Worth, Texas, next weekend.

This year's winning steer came to Denver from White Lake, S.D., and got his name "from a bus driver back home that's a friend," Shelby, 16, said. She has brought steers to Denver the past three years, but she has never won a prize like the one she got Thursday.

Reserve championship honors went to Kirbe Schnoor of Chowcilla, Calif. Her steer, Houpie, stood second to Shelby's in the same weight division earlier in the day. Two Colorado steers made the final lineup. They belonged to Jace Blach, 14, of Yuma and Layne Crumley, 15, of Akron.

This year's show was judged by Jarold Callahan, a Yukon, Okla., cattle producer, and Doug Dixon, who is the head of the animal science department at the University of Wyoming.

"This was fun for me," Dixon said. "There were good calves to judge and good kids showing them. That's a hard combination to beat."

Callahan said he had not judged at the National Western for several years and was pleased to get the invitation to come back.

"The numbers were better when I was here the last time, but the quality is still the same. The animals on the top end of today's show had excellent quality," he said, noting those involved in the beef business are involved in a new industry.

"With the high price of feed and fuel we're facing it's kind of challenging, but we still have to be able to market a beef animal the consumer wants. It still has to have the correctness and the soundness to perform in the feedlot and has good eating characteristics," he said.

Shelby, who plans to use the money the steer will bring at this evening's sale to help pay her way to South Dakota State University, said she has been getting Maynard ready for the National Western for the past year.

"This is the only show he's been to," she said, noting it will be tough to part ways with him this evening when he goes into the sale ring at the Auction of Junior Livestock Champions, which starts at 6:30 p.m. today.

"I thought he would do pretty good down here, but I wasn't sure he could win. This is a tough show, and you never know. But he's been good and, yeah, it's going to be tough saying goodbye," she said.

COd

Ky Stierwalt had champ, was an awesome steer.  Had him picked the night before without knowing whose he was.  His sister had the Champion lamb also.

dori36

Fun to read the article that was the result of last year's steer show.  Just for the record, here anyway, this gentleman:  <<and Doug Dixon, who is the head of the animal science department at the University of Wyoming. >>  is actually Doug Hixon (not "Dixon"), who is a great guy and a good personal friend of mine.

j3cattleco

Ky steers was a heatwave X 7063 from mimms.  full sib embroys sold as lot 12a dn b during the embryos on snow.  steirwalts bought him through mimms sale last spring i'm pretty sure.

BIGTEX

Whoa, wait a minute. I thought RED or DL had a TH/PHA free steer that was going to win the steer show at the Natl. Western? What happened? I was looking forward to eating some crow. Would someone let me know when a FREE/FREE pedigree animal wins a major steer show.

chambero

If Stierwalt's steer really came from Mimm's sale last spring, the most interesting part to me is that calf would have been an August calf.  Most of the Fort Worth winners for a while have been much older calves (last year's Grand was an April calf).  I'd love it if someone could verify.

Nothing slow growing about that Heat Wave if he indeed was an August calf to be that heavy and mature by now.  August and September calves usually are ready for Houston down here, not mid January.

j3cattleco

I'm not positive it was a fall calf.  My buddy who works the sale said that he thought it came out of the spring sale this past spring so I guess I shouldn't have said anything because I don't know for certain.  I'm sorry.

chambero

j3cattleco said:
I'm not positive it was a fall calf.  My buddy who works the sale said that he thought it came out of the spring sale this past spring so I guess I shouldn't have said anything because I don't know for certain.  I'm sorry.

All of those calves in the spring sale last year were fall borns according to their website.  All of the calves in that sale out of that mating were August calves.  This calf was probably one of those, but he could have been from an earlier calf crop out of the mating I guess.  I bet we hear for sure before long.