Denver Steer Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

Yep, both were outstanding steers. I had a feeling both would come out of the same class (Class 5) Grand Champion was sired by Heat Wave and weighed 1315 lbs and the reserve was sired by Monopoly and weighed 1318 lbs.

titan

Two great steers.  I really liked both steers, but in my opinion, the top two steers could have been switched in class and everything would have went fine. I really enjoyed seeing the stock show use a different type of judging.

InIt2WinIt

Solid steer show. I enjoyed the 3 judge panel system for the most part. I feel like trio system got it right, but the length of time it took to place classes was annoying. Another plus: most can agree that the system eliminates politics pretty much entirely.

I was disappointed in the structural integrity of the high end cattle. If you really studied the cattle in the final lineup, it was easy to recognize that the only steer that was a cat on the move was the class three champion shown by Buck from CO. 

Bonham and Russell were both super stout, but consequently weren't as eloquent, athletic and free on the move because of their mass. Not saying those shouldn't have won today, but it truly bothers me that structure is taking such a back seat in today's show industry.

Telos

InIt2WinIt said:
Solid steer show. I enjoyed the 3 judge panel system for the most part. I feel like trio system got it right, but the length of time it took to place classes was annoying. Another plus: most can agree that the system eliminates politics pretty much entirely.

I was disappointed in the structural integrity of the high end cattle. If you really studied the cattle in the final lineup, it was easy to recognize that the only steer that was a cat on the move was the class three champion shown by Buck from CO. 

Bonham and Russell were both super stout, but consequently weren't as eloquent, athletic and free on the move because of their mass. Not saying those shouldn't have won today, but it truly bothers me that structure is taking such a back seat in today's show industry.

Insightful. Well said and IMO 100% correct.

iowabeef

While I agree that structure is extremely important....I don't feel in a terminal show it should be the overwhelming factor.  In a breeding show or heifer show, I feel it is paramount because those animals are going on to hopefully a long life in the herd and if they can't get around well, then you won't get production out of them.  But in a market show, the animals are ultimatly for slaughter and consumption.  As long as they are not painful to watch walk and are able to "get to the feedbunk"- what would be the need to walk like a cat?  Easier to get them to the butcher?

Mueller Show Cattle

iowabeef said:
While I agree that structure is extremely important....I don't feel in a terminal show it should be the overwhelming factor.  In a breeding show or heifer show, I feel it is paramount because those animals are going on to hopefully a long life in the herd and if they can't get around well, then you won't get production out of them.  But in a market show, the animals are ultimatly for slaughter and consumption.  As long as they are not painful to watch walk and are able to "get to the feedbunk"- what would be the need to walk like a cat?  Easier to get them to the butcher?
I agree, with a breeder it is much much more important. These are market beef, next step to the meat packing house. But those winners they were not unsound or bad structure. The judge did hit the unsound steers hard. There was a really nice smoke steer and judge said he was thick and full of muscle but was unsound and was at the bottom of the class. Me and my wife picked the 2 winners in their class to win and it could have went either way, but when they picked the grand champion and class 5 reserve came out, I knew it would be her as reserve grand champion was a great steer for both. I to love the 3 judge system, takes longer but more fair and all in all most judges agreed alot of the time. It was judge A and B when A and B did not agree, then it went to the referee and they posted the judges picks on a big screen for everyone to see, I loved it and no one can't say it was not fair. I agreed with most picks and the ones that were knocked down I liked they explained why, like one they said was very disappointing (soft) when touched, I can't judge that from seats. But a great show of market beef.

titan

does anyone have a video of the show that i can watch. missed all the classes except for the championship drive. thanks

rackranch

X3.. I'm with you.. (clapping)

iowabeef said:
While I agree that structure is extremely important....I don't feel in a terminal show it should be the overwhelming factor.  In a breeding show or heifer show, I feel it is paramount because those animals are going on to hopefully a long life in the herd and if they can't get around well, then you won't get production out of them.  But in a market show, the animals are ultimatly for slaughter and consumption.  As long as they are not painful to watch walk and are able to "get to the feedbunk"- what would be the need to walk like a cat?  Easier to get them to the butcher?

twistedhshowstock

I agree...when in the show ring you should look at that animals purpose and judge based on the characteristics that are most important to that animal fulfilling that purpose.  In a terminal steer show, such as the one in question at Denver, we are evaluating that animal to determine which one is most ready and most likely to hang the best carcass on the rail that day.  Structural soundness is not the most important factor in determining that, to me the most important factors in a steer show are high cutability, with large amounts of high valued cuts, and having the correct finish.  Of course in the show ring we want pretty, etc, and we can generally do that because the large numbers of high quality steers allow us to pick those.  I do think there is a point where structural integrity has to be considered, a terribly unsound animal or lame animal is more likely to be stressed which could potentially cause a lower quality carcass.  But I think a lot of what gets called un sound and poor structured is not really the case.  As was stated earlier I think the steers that were truly unsound got moved to bottom in most cases, unless they just outpowered something to the point that they had to go over them.  But the steers in the champion line up that many are saying could be more sound, I dont think had a soundness issue at all.  Sure they were not as catty on the move as the Class 3 winner, but when you pack that amount of muscle and weight onto one they are gonna move slower, maybe waddle a little, and take a shorter stride. Its only natural, and if you go to the feedlots and see a bunch of steers that are finished and have a lot of product to them, you will see them moving exactly the same.  Its just the difference in body composition, look at human athletes and take body builders and marathon runners, the body builders have much more mass, thus dont move as gracefully and cat like as many of the marathon runners.  Does that mean that they are unsound or crippled or not in as good of shape? not at all, its simply a difference in body type.
I think we have to quit expecting judges to evaluate steers like the breeding stock, because they are not, thats not their purpose.  Yes breeding stock needs to be much more sound, and frankly I think soundness is the #1 most important trait to consider when evaluating breeding stock.  If you want them to make 13, 14, 15 yrs in the herd then they better be sound as babies, because if anything it will get worse with age, but not better. But steers only need to stay sound enough to get up and get to the feed bunk for a couple yrs tops, hopefully not even that long.  We dont expect the longevity out of them because that is not their intention or purpose.  If you are absolutely concerned that a judge always evaluate on structural integrity above all else, then stick to the heifer ring, that is the trait most important to their purpose. It is not however      the most important trait to a steers purpose.

kfacres

InIt2WinIt said:
i saw alot of stupid things to prove a point.. but when you are at the eternal end of the line, both in life- and a bloodline-- what's it matter so that it can make it to the truck, and to the knockbox..

course, this is counteractive IMO.. as I wouldn't want to eat a national show winning, steer anymore than I would a Holstein... 

iowabeef

Cut the BS said:
InIt2WinIt said:
i saw alot of stupid things to prove a point.. but when you are at the eternal end of the line, both in life- and a bloodline-- what's it matter so that it can make it to the truck, and to the knockbox..

course, this is counteractive IMO.. as I wouldn't want to eat a national show winning, steer anymore than I would a Holstein... 

Agreed-the best tasting steaks never see a show ring

kfacres

Looking back on this subject- I can only see one reason to have super sound steers--- that's so you can look at that mating and say- if that would have been a heifer- she would have been sound, or visa/versa. 

But then, that would only be towards the actual breeder of that calf, not the showman, the jocky, or the judge at a show. 

i guess one should also take into account the sexual differences b/w steers and heifers and the fact that at 1300 lbs that steer's carcass needs to be packed with meat- instead of a meaty little baby.  the more meat you pack on one, the tighter skeleton-ed they get, and the shorter striding...  but then again heifers do that too

twistedhshowstock

Cut the BS said:
Looking back on this subject- I can only see one reason to have super sound steers--- that's so you can look at that mating and say- if that would have been a heifer- she would have been sound, or visa/versa. 

But then, that would only be towards the actual breeder of that calf, not the showman, the jocky, or the judge at a show. 

i guess one should also take into account the sexual differences b/w steers and heifers and the fact that at 1300 lbs that steer's carcass needs to be packed with meat- instead of a meaty little baby.  the more meat you pack on one, the tighter skeleton-ed they get, and the shorter striding...  but then again heifers do that too

Thats exactly what I have been saying....yes there are definately reasons to take note of the winning steers pedigrees and know their sibling hiefers for breeding purposes...but when it comes to the show ring we need judges and everyone else to quit looking at steers like their heifers, because they are not, they dont have the same purpose, and we dtypically dont feed them the same, unless of course its a free martin or poor structured heifer that is headed to the packer, then of course she will also have a tendancy to have the same issue as her contemporary steers.

JY

Was there and watched entire show it was real good set of steers, the two steers that won definitely deserved to be there. The three judge system worked because basically they did not have many of the placings very fair apart. But saying that it was slow and boring and very unexciting. They did work to use sound cattle. The smoke steer that someone mentioned did not look to have structure problems, he looked like he had been foundered but obviously could not be placed very high because he could not go. The Steriwalt Steer was beautiful and the soundest class winner. He was so sound because he as not as thick as the two that won. The announcer seemed to believe that the entries were up because of the 3 man system, could not be true because no one the night before even new how it was going to be done. Personally think relaxing the fitting rules and letting the family help has alot more to do with more entries than anything else. Love to watch a good hair show even though I am from Texas.

clementcattle

InIt2WinIt said:

I always think its funny when someone describes a steer/animal as "eloquent".

ruhtram

I was at the show too and really liked how they judged. Seemed real fair but did take time which was expected. The Two winners were sure stout and deserving of the winner circle.

titan

anybody got a place where i can watch the classes??? missed them.