DeRouchey buy out/ combined topic w/ DL's

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

I just read on another board DeRouchey was bought out.  Nobody had any details though.  Has anyone else heard anything???? 

Jill

No, I thought about calling Fred, but hate to bother him this time of year for gossip.  I hope it isn't true, I think alot of the DeRouchey family, I think they have been good for the Maine-Anjou breed.

red

Nothing on their website but that's not surprising.
It would be a shame!

Red

DL

Just got off the phone with Fred - as of last Thursday he has sold his entire cow herd to Steve Robinson Bushy Hill Farm in Maryland. Fred will stay on as a marketing and genetic consultant until March 1 2008. He and his wife Joan have not had a vacation in 25 years. Apparently this was one of those right time right place things and the deal was done - there will be info in the next "Voice". As I understand it some of the cows will remain in SD and others will be in MD. Part of the deal was that Fred's people (Cory and Rocky) stay as part of the organization. Cory will be in SD. They will have their fall bull sale as always. (I hope I got this all right - I was pretty excited for Fred - they don't know what they will do after March 1, 2008 or where they will vacation, but do want to spend more time with grandkids - I offerred him a herdsman position in MI - wasn't interested!)

Congratulations to the Derouchey's - THEY ARE A CLASS ACT - and winners of the Galaxy Award!

cattlechick

I talked to Fred last week, he told me that they sold their cow herd. He said there would be a write-up in the Voice about it in the next issue. He said that they were still going to be managing a part of it and will still have thier Bull Sale too. It was suprising but they want to slow down a bit.

DL

cattlechick said:
I talked to Fred last week, he told me that they sold their cow herd. He said there would be a write-up in the Voice about it in the next issue. He said that they were still going to be managing a part of it and will still have thier Bull Sale too. It was suprising but they want to slow down a bit.

details from tonights conversation with Fred on different post - could actuallyhave merged them....

stick

dl. I knew Fred back in his Chester White days. Great family to deal with then, I never had the opportunity in cattle (different breed).

red

Thank you DL! Tony had updated me on the buy-out but I wanted to hear it from someone who had spoken directly w/ Fred before it was replied.
I combined both yours & JustMe's threads so we don't have people speculting on one & then reading the reasons on the other.
I'm glad they are not doing this because of health reasons. We will really miss them, they have been huge supporters of the junior program, shows & just an all around class act. I've known Cory for 15 years, ever since he was at Hardings. Wish them all the best of luck!
Cows in Maryland?  (lol)

Red

rapcattle

I talked to Fred a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that they were selling down to focus on ET work only.  I agree with everyone, The DeRouchey's are a standard that every breeder needs to use as an example.  The Maine breed will not be the same without his influence.

RAP

red

(welcome) RAP cattle!!

Yes, it is sorry to see them & someone like Major's selling most of their cattle.

Red

shorthorns r us

i had posted two replies to this that sounded terrible.  so, i will try again.

economically this may be a good time to reduce numbers or sell out.  prices are very strong.

that doesn't sound nearly as tacky as my first attempts.

afhm

Did Derouchey's  sell their place as well?  Is Rocky going to MD?  What about Jason is he still with them?

knabe

DeRouchey's are a big tester of tenderness genes.  there were at least two heifers by total package with six stars at their recent sale.  I hope the new owners, as well as the DeRouchey's with their ET focus will keep this up.  They are probably the earliest and most comprenhensive utilizers of this technology.  Would like to see some correlation studies with fertilitity, willingness to breed etc of these high star bulls.  reports on the angus side are they are a little lacking in fertility, willingness to breed, and also thickness.   opportunity for maine's there?

a couple of angus high star bulls

http://www.summitcrest.com/herdsires/SummitcrestPfred0N12.html
http://www.powellangus.com/HerdSires.html
http://www.ultimategenetics.com/listing/index.php?animalid=420
http://www.bovigen.com/public_results_process.php

http://www.bovigen.com/public_results_process.php          (maine results, not much publicly reported, but a few out there.)
with maine's touting themselves as a carcass breed, not much of a showing without going directly to breeder or sale flyer. perhaps that's the way people prefer it.

Jill

I'm guess Fred has Wildcat football fever, we will probably see him tailgating in the next couple of years.  James and Jenna are only a couple of years from being able to show so we will actually see alot more of them.
On a serious note, we think the world of the DeRouchey family and wish them the best with whatever they do in the future.  Someone a couple of weeks ago made a list of people they would like there children to look up to as role models, Fred and his family would have to rate right up there on the top of that list.

DL

I don't think we will see Fred disappear from the Maine scene - like Jill said there are grandkids getting to be show age and I believe he intends to continue to contribute to the breed. Sometimes there are opportunities you just can't pass up, this was one of them!

knabe - nice picture!
(cow)

xxcc

as you well know, many breeders have had complete dispersals and are back in the scene within a few years.  maybe the only way you may not see his particular face in the Maine world would be if he signed a "no competion" contract.

maybe he's going to give Pannell a run for his money? ???

DL

yeah and many have "not complete dispersals" sell their trash and carriers (with a few good cows to make the catalog look good) and turn around and put all their frozen embryos in recips and start again.....the word dispersal has taken on new meaning - some people actually disperse annually - do I sound cynical??

now to the "good dl" - Fred told me that there was no "non compete" clause