dexamethasone

Help Support Steer Planet:

Moocow11

what do you use it for? how well does it work for an anti-inflamatory, any knots or anything??

red

believe it's a non- approved product for cattle. My opinion is it's best not to use.

Red

Moocow11

its not? i was reading on the label and all it said was cattle and equine

xxcc

Dex is fine to use in cattle.  It has a steroidal effect, a little more potent than Predef.  I usually only use it when I'm giving a newborn calf a kick start, or trying to save him from dying. e.g. a calf is born from a hard pull, give it 5cc under the tongue in the fleshy tissue.  The blood is more concentrated there.

Banamine is a better anti-inflamatory(in my book).  Be careful to not give it too long (like more than 1-1.5cc/100 lbs for more then about 5-7 days). It can take their kidneys out.

red

duh, I was thinking of something else. 1000 lashes w/ a wet noodle!
:)))

Red

afhm

XXCC are you injecting that under the tounge or just squirting it under there?  I would think that is quite a chore to inject it under there.

DL

Dexamethasone is a glucocorticoid - it is very much like cortisol - it has many uses, for example since fetal cortisol is the trigger for labor in the pregnant cow it can be used to induce labor. It is (as I am sure you are aware) a drug that requires a prescription for use. Although useful it is not without potential problems - especially if used repeatedly - these include ulcers, dehydration, and immune suppression (increased risk of infection) -