Diamond Captain Mark 27C x

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shorthorn_Junkie

I was looking at some of the bulls up in Canada, and stumbled across the bull "Diamond Captain Mark 27C x".

I noticed that semen is available here in the US.  Is there anyone here in the states who has ever used him?

I was also wondering what genetics does he seem to work on the best and what genetics would some of you recommend breeding him to?

I really do like two of his daughters which are, "New Beginnings Elsie Jade" and "Prairie Lane Sparkle", which are both up at Horseshoe Creek Farm.  Those are two fantastic looking females!

justintime

Diamond Captain Mark 27C is a bull that in my opinion, has been overlooked by many people. Part of the reason being that he was never promoted much, and it is just in the last few years, that some of his offspring are starting to get some people's attention. 27C is now gone, and I am not sure how much semen is left on him. Here in Canada, some breeders felt that his daughters did not milk good enough. That is very true on some of them. I have only had one daughter that I would say did not supply her calf with enough milk. Both Elsie's Jade and Sparkle are what I would call moderate milking females. By that I mean, they don't produce so much milk that they blow their udders apart or look like an Indian dog at weaning, but they have enough milk to wean a good calf and come in at weaning time in good condition. Last year we had 4 ET calves born that are full sibs to Elsies Jade. We lost one shortly after birth, and have a horned full brother, a horned full sister and a polled full sister. The full brother is selling in our bull sale April 19th. The polled full sister is, in my opinion even better than Elsie's Jade. The horned full sister had a recip mom that got sick on pasture and as a result this calf came in greener than the others. It is doing well now, and is going to make a good cow as well. The polled full sister is definitely going into our donor herd.

27C is a bull that adds thickness and body mass to his calves. They are sound structured. and they have good udders, but may be marginal in milk if used on a female line that is also low in milk production. I would say he is a great choice if you have a cow that has too much milk ( I know this is a concept that some of you who raise other breeds may have trouble to comprehend.. haha). Unfortunately, 27C is also not the greatest polling bull. if used on females with horned genetics close in the pedigree, you may get some horned offspring. His offspring are moderate in frame but weigh lots. The Sparkle cow, shown beside this message, weighed 1740 lb last fall at weaning yet she is what I would call a moderate framed cow.

I could use another 25 cows like these two cows. We usually have so many requests for embryos from both of these cows that we don't have many embryos to put in ourselves. Sparkle is also the dam of Wolf Willow Major Leroy, who is one of our herdsires. We sold the world semen rights in him to Semex and he is now being marketed in over 100 countries. Sparkle just calved a couple days ago with a beautiful heifer calf by Saskvalley Pioneer 126P and we already have all the embryos she will produce  from this May to November sold to breeders in Scotland, USA and New Zealand. The same goes for Elsie's Jade. We flushed her in November and all embryos went to Ireland. The flush in January, sold to Illinois. We are keeping all the embryos from the flush in March for ourselves, and if we decide to flush her in May, we already have a buyer for any embryos we get.

In my opinion, 27C is a bull that you should consider if you like thick deep easy fleshing cows. They may not all be show winners in today's shows, but they are correct and functional. When used on real  big framed cows he will moderate frame some but maybe not as much as you may have wanted.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Thanks for the info Justintime.

I just now noticed that you are the owner of those fabulous females.  I really wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the full sibs to your, "Elsie's Jade" cow.  I also like your bull, "Wolf Willow Major Leroy" that you were talking about.  He looks like a very muscular animal with lots of meat and thickness.  A cattleman's bull for sure. 

I have always enjoyed looking at your website.  It is very well put together.    You have some fantastic looking cattle up there in Canada.  I would love to come see your operation someday.  I have never been in Canada before, and have been wanting to make the trip for a long time.  A friend of mine who has been up there before tells me that once you cross the Canadian/US Border that it looks like you are about to be swallowed up by big giant green mountains.  He called it "God's Country". 

Once again thanks for your input, and thanks for your contribution to the Shorthorn Breed.    I enjoy reading your posts.  You seem to be a huge well of information.  I believe I could sit and listen to you talk about Shorthorns all day  :) 

justintime

Shorthorn _ junkie, your freind obviously crossed the Canada/US border a long ways from where I live. It is so flat her that on a clear day I can see the back of  my head. Where I live there are virtually no trees. When it rains it is beautiful here ( at least I think it is beautiful) but when it gets dry, it is very similar to the surface of the moon. Right now it resembles the moon. I think coyote may agree with me. Cagwin has been here several times over the years and he always says... if you had to give the world an enema, right where I live would be a great place to put the needle.

I will agree that much of Canada is very very beautiful. Where I live is also very beautiful, but you need to appreciate flat, open semi-arid prairie where you can watch you dog run away from home for two days, in order to see the beauty here.

itk

SHJ,  (welcome) (welcome), Some of the brightest and most well respected shorthorn minds hang out here on the planet. You are in for a real treat and we are even civil most of the time.

Shorthorn_Junkie

justintime said:
Shorthorn _ junkie, your freind obviously crossed the Canada/US border a long ways from where I live. It is so flat her that on a clear day I can see the back of  my head. Where I live there are virtually no trees. When it rains it is beautiful here ( at least I think it is beautiful) but when it gets dry, it is very similar to the surface of the moon. Right now it resembles the moon. I think coyote may agree with me. Cagwin has been here several times over the years and he always says... if you had to give the world an enema, right where I live would be a great place to put the needle.

I will agree that much of Canada is very very beautiful. Where I live is also very beautiful, but you need to appreciate flat, open semi-arid prairie where you can watch you dog run away from home for two days, in order to see the beauty here.

Not for sure where all my friend went to up there in Canada Justintime. 

He and his dad went on a hunting and fishing trip back about 10 years ago, and I remember him talking about how green everything up that way was and there was a lot of mosquitos he told me.......LOL!

From looking at the pictures on your website, I can tell you have a very beautiful place up there.    I hear ya on being able to see your dog running away from home for two days.  Kind of sounds like some of the prairie land in North and South Dakota.  I was also curious to know how many acres do you have up there? 

I'm sure when the winter is over that your place will be just as green and pretty like most of the land up there is. 

Shorthorn_Junkie

itk said:
SHJ,  (welcome) (welcome), Some of the brightest and most well respected shorthorn minds hang out here on the planet. You are in for a real treat and we are even civil most of the time.

Hi itk,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  :)

It's good to be here among all of you good shorthorn folks, including other fine cattlemen of other different breeds. 

justintime

shorthorn_ junkie,   I am about 30 miles straight north of the US border just above the N. Dakota/ Montana state line. If your friends when fishing you could have crossed the border anywhere's here. If you go even 70 miles north of where I live you start to see more trees and in northern Saskatchewan, it is like another world. The fishing is incredible and there is nothing but lakes, forest, and mosquitos. It is really God's country, and I just wish God could see fit for me to get away more often as I have not been up there much myself.

Our place consists of 2460 acres of both owned and rented land. That may sound like a lot to you but it is probably a smaller than average place here. For rxample, I have a leased pasture of over 1000 acres, that I am allowed to put 50 cows and calves on each year... maximum. I have over 18 miles of fence that has to be maintained and checked each spring, so that is a big chore by itself. We have everything seeded to pasture and alfalfa and we purchase all our grain... which is not my idea of fun this winter. I am not feeding as much grain as I normally do, but it is still costing $4000 every time the feed truck comes into the yard, and that lasts about 3 weeks. We feed a pellet that is made up of grain screenings, peas, lentils and about 25% barley, as it is cheaper than other grain and it is a 14 to 15 % product. It has decent TDN and it is a good growing ration for heifers.

Shorthorn_Junkie

It's funny that you posted the link for "The Canada Shorthorn Genetics Mall".  I was getting ready to comment on how much I like the site.

Thanks for the heads up.  It seems that great minds think alike eh?    (thumbsup)

Shorthorn_Junkie

Hi Justintime,

My friend actually crossed the border up around Minnesota I believe.

Yeah, your place does sound quiet huge to me.  Like your dog,  I also could run away on a place like yours and not even worry about coming home for 2 days myself.    I love large spreads like that. 

I understand the feed costs.  Having cattle is an expense that's for sure.  That is part of the price we pay for our love and passion. 

justintime

The Canadian Shorthorn Genetic Mall was a brain child of uluru and he should take all the credit for it's development and how it operates. Uluru ( Bob) has donated countless hours to developing and maintaining this site along with his webmaster Merlin. I think we are all thankful for what he has done, and I know that we oftentimes do not acknowledge this. THANKS BOB!  Hope the Florida sun isn't burning you up.

Shorthorn_Junkie

justintime said:
The Canadian Shorthorn Genetic Mall was a brain child of uluru and he should take all the credit for it's development and how it operates. Uluru ( Bob) has donated countless hours to developing and maintaining this site along with his webmaster Merlin. I think we are all thankful for what he has done, and I know that we oftentimes do not acknowledge this. THANKS BOB!  Hope the Florida sun isn't burning you up.

Well Bob has done a fantastic job with the site!  (clapping)

I have it bookmarked in my favorites as a matter of fact.   

uluru

Thanks guys
The Mall site is a passion of mine to support the Shorthorn breed and all the wonderful people I have met since I got started with Shorthorns.
I retired from 42 years in the Financial Services Industry and while in the FSI, I worked with some fine people.
I have to say that I have sure met some great people in the cattle business and many are on this site.
I really enjoy owning some cattle and doing research on pedigrees, etc. and the history of the breed.
I definately want to go and visit Roy Lovaas' Native Herd.

The info and education I get every time I log on to this site is incredible.
My thanks to all who contibute, controversial or otherwise

I am going to continue the Genetic Mall site and will be doing a rework to make it more exciting and add some new features.
Watch for it in the next few months.

JIT I think as someone suggested earlier on this site somewhere you should write a book about Shorthorns.
I know you have lots of time. (ha ha)

The FL sun is great.
I will remain down here until the end of March.
I will be in Sask at the Sun Country Bull sale on April 19th

JIT I am real excited about the new bull we acquired yesterday.
I believe he is what we need at this time to move our program fwd and to produce more great bulls for the future Sun Country Bull Sales. 
He should be posted on our web site in a couple of days. I sent the info to the web man tonight.
www.ulurushorthorns.com. Creekside Standoff 9T is his name,  a son of TANK
Lots of Alta Cedar and Eionmor genetics.

OH Breeder

JIT and uluru

River Acres Daffodil 5H great looking female. Do you flush her often? Really like her.

justintime

Daffodil is presently in Alberta at Davis-Rairdan Embryo Transplants Ltd, where she will be flushed next Thursday to K-Kim Gold Count 22P x. She has been flushed to several other bulls in the last year.Gold Count is homozygous polled and he really got noticed here in Canada last year because of the calves he produced. At the 2007 Toronto Royal, there were quite a few Gold Counts presented. The only Gold Count's that did not win their class were beat by another Gold Count sired calf. This was a tremendously deep show in quality and his calves certainly looked great.We decided to try him with Daffodil as we think they will greatly complement each other and produce polled offspring as well.

shortyjock89

Good luck with Gold Count...I've seen a few good one's down here from Denny Jordan, but the few calves that we've had were nothing to get excited about.  I just don't think we tried him on the right kind of cows.  We still have some of him left in the tank and may try him again next year.