Did I screw up a breeding?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RLN Cattle

So today I started a simple synch program on about 20 cows before they go out to pasture.  Just gave 5cc Lut threw on an estrotech patch and kicked them out.  This happened at 10 a.m. June 2.  I had a few cows floating around the corrals that were bred a few days earlier.  All of them were cut out except one, who was bred May 30, in the P.M..  She got a shot of lut... I know i screwed up big time.  So there was about a 60 hour gap between when she got bred and got the shot of lut.  What'll this do to a potential pregnancy?  CL was killed off with the 3-4 days ago when she came into heat, so will there already be a functional CL formed? If not, what'll PGF do to a developing CL?  Any clues?  Regardless, shes got a patch on and will be rebred if I see a strong heat, but what are my odds of still having a pregnancy? Thanks for all opinions and input!

bigby535

If I remember the literature correctly, lutalyse works in the day 5 to day 13 window of a 21 day cycle.  It appears the cow is in day 3 or day 4.  I can't give you odds, but I know that trying to bring cows in heat outside that window probably doesn't work.  However, Murphy's Law may apply - anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.  Let us know what happens.

JDP

We had a cow that came up open and was bred by the bull late one summer and decided to give her a lutyze shot and separated her.  If i remember right we gave the shot 5 days later and she calved on her due date to the bull and calf was fine. Check with your vet to be sure but i think you will be fine if she sticks.  Nature will abort if something is wrong.

Top Knot

I don't think it's going to have any affect. Lutalyse won't work on cows that have cycled in the past 5 days, so I'd say your pregnancy (if she already is) will be safe.