Diesel Driver!!! What you think about your truck?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steer Boy 101

Hello My dad is looking for a new Truck. he hasnt decided wheather he wants a 05 06 with 20 - 35,ooo miles or a brand new one. he has had ppl tell him that the brand new GMs get horrible millige. Doge isnt a factor since he dosent wanna look at them  (lol) so if any one has an o5 or newer Expeciely a new one ford or gm pleaes let me know what kinda millage or how the new truck is workin INPUTS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECEATED

shortyjock89

We have an 02 Ford and we LOVE it.  I would get an 03 or older Ford with a 7.3 if I were ya'll, but I guess that's just me.

BCCC

All new trucks are going to get bad gas milage with all the emissions. I couldn't tell you much on the durapuds, On the Fords don't get an 03 or 04 with the 6.0's. Also I am fairly sure they don't do so good on milage anyways until over 50k miles. My uncle has a the 6.4 and so does one of my bosses, and so far they like them I haven't heard of them complain to much about them. How ever they only get about 14mpg.  I would say you would be better off gettin a used truck like an 05-06 powerstroke. If it were me and i had to choose out of a powerstroke or a duramax I would try and find an 02-03 with the 7.3 they are most defiantly the best out of the 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4, IMHO

OHHHH one more thing I forgot to mention CUMMINS KICK A$$!!! ;D ;D suit your self with not driving one, the powerjoke or durapud you end up with will just be another truck to beat!! just kidding just kidding okay so maybe I'm not kidding but w/e ;D

BCCC

We have an 03 F350 dually with the 7.3 and we get about 9mpg but this is our welding truck with easily 7k+lbs of equipment in the bed. Also your mpg depends alot on your gear ratio, 4:10 or higher weren't made for mileage, Some prefer the 3.73 for towing and mileage, I have 3:55 and I like them just fine for driving and towing. Also your mileage depends on your driving habits. If you want good fuel milage you best start taking lessons from your grandma ;D

Stihlpro

I have an 01' Ford Powerstoke.  Love it!  Get 18.5 mpg highway.  17 in town.

JN Cattle Co.

I know you stated that you do not want a Dodge, but I will have to brag about mine. 2004 1 Ton Dually. Around 20 MPG on the Highway (empty). Fully Loaded, with a 28 ft gooseneck, around 14 - 15 MPG. More than enough power, but I am also running an EDGE power module under the hood. I do not know anybody that has a Ford or GM.

BCCC

JN Cattle Co. said:
I know you stated that you do not want a Dodge, but I will have to brag about mine. 2004 1 Ton Dually. Around 20 MPG on the Highway (empty). Fully Loaded, with a 28 ft gooseneck, around 14 - 15 MPG. More than enough power, but I am also running an EDGE power module under the hood. I do not know anybody that has a Ford or GM.
I agree! we have a few around here and I LOVE THEM!!! They do great on fuel milage!! I have never heard of a powerstroke getting 17mpg let alone 22!

We have a 98 12valve 3500 dodge that gets about 5mpg and this truck could literaly pull a mountain, it is actually made to be a sled pulling truck, Also have an 05 that gets about 21mpg on the highway. Have a 07 thats has about 20k miles on it and gets about 15 and it is climbing every day. Have a few others that are right in along wth the 05

DLD

I've got an '05 Ford F250 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel,  torqueshift automatic,  3.73 axles and 285 (33") tires.  It's a supercab long bed with 83,000 miles,  and gets 14-15'ish in my normal driving (on the farm and running back and forth to town),  a couple mpg less with a trailer.  Empty, on the highway,  I can get 17.5,  maybe 18 if I drive 60,  figure on losing 0.1 mpg every 1 mph faster I drive.  It's been completely reliable and trouble free so far.  I pull a 24' x 6'8" Circle D steel stock trailer,  and I can pack it full of cows and run as fast as I want (yeah, the lowered geared ones might pass me on the hills, but I'll pass them at the fuel pump).

If you do buy a 6.0,  I would recommend avoiding one that's been modded (tuner, exhaust, intake, etc...)  unless the head bolts have already been replaced with studs.  The factory head bolts just won't hold up to running increased turbo boost for long.

BCCC

Is that supposed to be " you need to put eggs under your foot and not break them to save gas"?

TJ

knabe said:
yuo nede tou puut ands egge unzder yous foots ant note brekes et toos safe gase

I think it says, "you need to put an egg under your foot and not break it too save gas". 

TJ

BCCC said:
JN Cattle Co. said:
I agree! we have a few around here and I LOVE THEM!!! They do great on fuel milage!! I have never heard of a powerstroke getting 17mpg let alone 22!

We have a 98 12valve 3500 dodge that gets about 5mpg and this truck could literaly pull a mountain, it is actually made to be a sled pulling truck, Also have an 05 that gets about 21mpg on the highway. Have a 07 thats has about 20k miles on it and gets about 15 and it is climbing every day. Have a few others that are right in along wth the 05

My 98 dodge is as tough as it gets.  I still have the orginal automatic transmission & it has pulled everything (literally) & pulled all distances.  It gets decent mileage, but it has all the power that you would ever need.  Before that, I had a diesel Ford dually.  I also briefly had a Chevy 454 dually.  My 3/4 ton Dodge would probably pull both of those trucks apart.  No comparission, IMHO.  Dodge is best.  Ford is good.  Chevy, well...  ;)       

Eberth

We have an 07 and a 00 powerstroke and like them both. The 00 that I drive will get around 20mpg on the highway and around 14 to 15 in town or with w trailer. It does have.a superchip tuner that made a world of difference. The 07 gets around 17 to 18 on the highway and about 14 in town or with a trailer.

maine106

We have an 05 Chevy 2500HD diesel, ext. cab and it will get about 22 mpg.  I happen to love the Allison transmission and the Duramax has all the power needed and then some.

That being said I have had 2 new GMC duallys that I loved dearly!  I pulled an 8' x 28' Barrett and would be in that 15-17 mpg.

We have started casually looking for a new truck when the average now seems to be about 40K I have an idea this will be the first used truck we buy!

vc

Have a 05 Chevy 2500HD Milage is 14 towing 19 highway (We have allot of hills so on flat ground milage is much better) The thing to consider is Chevy is having their 100 year promotion that sales you the vehicle for the employee price. We bought our truck under the same promotion in 05 saved about 9000 on a truck with everything. I would never give up my Allison Trany, I have come down the grade from Mammoth to Biship  (7 mile 7% grade) The Grapevine and the Cajon Pass with a loaded trailer hardly ever touched the brakes.

knabe

BCCC said:
Is that supposed to be " you need to put eggs under your foot and not break them to save gas"?

yes, sometimes i just get a little tickled by all the misspellings (not like durapud) and thought i'd overdo it.