Diesel Engines

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lakeshore Show Cattle

. We are looking at getting a 1999 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariot full 4 door 7.3 diesel auto 4x4 with 250,000 miles. My fiance is a diesel mechanic so that helps.

I am wondering about experiences that you may have had with your trucks. Milage, how many miles it will last etc. I understand a lot of it depends on how it is taken care of.

Thanks!

Doc

In my opinion thats's the best motor Ford ever built. I am hearing good things on Fords' new diesel, bad thing is you have to sell your house & live in the truck to be able to afford it. I had a '95 3/4 ton automatic that I put 275k miles on it when I sold it & it's still going. I put a tranny in it at 160k & a new turbocharger at 250k & thats about it. I now have a '99 F350 crewcab dually w/7.3 motor & 111k miles on it. It definitely isn't the newest , but it is in excellent shape & it's paid for.

steel

7.3 is solid engine there is no doubt.  In 99 there was actually 2 different set ups in those truck as far as engine goes.  The trucks that had the build date before 12/8/98 had a smaller turbo and the injectors didn't flow as well.  it was a intercooled 97 motor with a wastegated turbo and a intercool.  part seem to be alittle harder to get but not to bad.  i had 1 that when i sold it had 430,000 miles and it was worn out but ran.  The later 99's were even better.  bigger chargers and better flowing injectors.  even ran quieter.  i cant remember right off hand if they were the split shot injectors or not tho.  I know of several trucks with over 300,000 on them.  i would say first place to look on buying on is the fuel filter base.  these trucks use several o'ring to separate oil and fuel on the rail and after time they wear and u can see o'ring material in the fuel filter base.  oil is about a critical as ever in the 7.3.  it actually fires the injector.  if u have a scanner u need to see 1600 pounds of oil pressure to fire the truck on the rail.  I know there is alot I'm not saying if u have any questions get aholdof me.  i went to school on those engines and if u need anything let me know.  I still have the book and 2 setting around the shop.

vc

I would not worry about the diesel engine as much as I would the transmission, if that is in good shape so are you. Our fleet is made up of mostly Fords, the 7.3 is a work horse, the newer diesels  you can keep them (do not know about the newest one we only have one of those so far), the 6.0 seems to need a vacation every 2 to 3 months.
We have had trany problems but they usually raise their ugly head at around 30,000.

Silver

Get a 7.3 with a 6 speed. I had a 1999 that went for 267, 000 then I needed a new tranny, and then at 320,000 I needed a new turbo, finally traded it with 382,000 on a 2010 6.4 and I couldn't be happier with either truck, but its not the same story with my 6.0. Its fairly underpowered and has lots of little problems, but nothing big yet at 129,000.

fed_champions

I sold my 99' with 265,000 and all i replaced was a tranny, it still ran great, and see it around town all the time, its pushing 350000, and the guy said all hes done is replace glowplugs and the number 8 injector.