Diesel Motor Oil

Help Support Steer Planet:

PLKR

Just curious what oil everyone uses in their diesel pickups?  Any brand you would avoid?  Thoughts on synthetics?

JWW

Rotella 15/40, in all the diesels pickups, the gas half ton truck, and old suburban, every other oil change also add lucus oil additive..... and live by it b/c i have an 88 chevy gas truck that has never leaked oil, how many people can say that?

JWW

steel

Rotella all the way if u want to save money.  We run about 17 trucks out of my shop and mostly 5.9 cummins and a few 5.4 gas motors. At the shop its amsoil the whole time.  300,000 plus out of the gas motors at 7,000 oil changes.  I run ansoil in my personal truck and royal purple oil in my wifes car and all small engines.  We run marine 15w-40 marine amsoil in all my equipment.  I have close to 20,000 hours on 2 perkins motors and they hold good compression.  I m a maintance junky though but, i cant afford the break downs in the field because we didnt service equipment. 

coachmac

steel said:
Rotella all the way if u want to save money.   We run about 17 trucks out of my shop and mostly 5.9 cummins and a few 5.4 gas motors. At the shop its amsoil the whole time.  300,000 plus out of the gas motors at 7,000 oil changes.  I run ansoil in my personal truck and royal purple oil in my wifes car and all small engines.   We run marine 15w-40 marine amsoil in all my equipment.  I have close to 20,000 hours on 2 perkins motors and they hold good compression.  I m a maintance junky though but, i cant afford the break downs in the field because we didnt service equipment.   

I just talked to an Amsoil rep this weekend.  Had a good conversation, but I was wondering if the increase in MPG in both diesel and gas were legit.  Is that something that you see in using Amsoil? 

xxcc

I concur, Rotella 15W-40 is the only way to go...pickups, trucks, machinery, generators, ...etc.

steel

On gas engines yes we do see a increase in mpg. To what extent i honestly cant give u a great guess because of different drivers in the trucks.    I can tell u this tho.  My wife had a hemi charger and when we went to amsoil in it she went up 1.6 mpgs.  Which did suprise me alot.  The diesel trucks we don't worry about mpgs as much because of the load they are always under. Honestly amsoil is the ticket but is pretty salty in price.