Different types of cow feeds

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mcdonald Show Animals

I am interested in peoples thoughts on feeding breeder cubes compared to feed in a bucket (the hard feed that has to be licked) which is best do they get enough nutrients out of the tubs?

kanshow

I assume you are talking about the protien cubes and lick tubs?  We've fed both and will continue to do so.  The tubs are nice in less than perfect conditions.. heavy mud, etc.  The cattle seem to do a pretty good job of self limiting once they get started.  WE use these more on the stock fields or late in pasture season.    The cubes are nice when conditions allow you to feed them.  We use cubes a lot for getting the cows to come up to us or go into a different pasture or when changing stock fields.    They are not good in muddy conditions if they have to be fed on the ground..  also don't work the best if you have a heavy ground cover or ground that is froze full of deep hoof prints.  We do feed them in a bunk to some of the cattle - works good for small groups or when you want to 'push' the level a little. 

red

I used to sell both the poured mineral tubs & also the liquid molasses lick tubs. both work great for their uses. I think the solid tub is good for areas that you can't get to easily. aslo for areas that don't get a lot of percipitation. The lick tubs are great for herds that want a constant supply of protien & minerals. With that you need a good reputable supplier that will keep you filled.
With both you still need to provide salt & extra mineral. There are different formulas for different areas, feedstuffs & animal types.
I can give you some names of people that supply liquid products.

Red

kanshow

Red - In your experience - how does the liquid compare in price to the solid lick tub?    We've never fed it because of the logistics being able to handle it. 

red

Liquid usually involves a lick tank & delivery. I think if bought right it can be cheaper than solid. There are handling considerations to look at. I'm not sure how it compares anymore on price. I can do some checking this week later for you.
What area are you in to get a better idea?

Red