digital camera

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

aj said:
The nikon D40x may be the way to go. I was going to go to a kansas archeology seminar in feb on how to take pictures of artifacts and stuff also. How many lens can you get by with... a couple?

I don't know too much about digital stuff, but COnsumer Reports says this about assessing lens

Assess the lens.
Most SLR digital cameras are sold as a body only or with a kit lens, typically an 18-mm to 55-mm model that’s considered a wide-angle zoom. But many lenses that you can buy separately, or choose as an optional upgrade when you buy the camera, are better than kit lenses. With an SLR-like camera, there’s no choice in lenses. Make sure the shortest focal length of the lens is the equivalent of 28 mm or less, enough for landscapes or tight shots of groups. And look for one whose widest aperture setting at its maximum zoom (the second, larger figure of the two f-numbers usually given in lens specs) is below f5 or, even better, below f4.

Review the specs.
Big cameras with 10-megapixel resolution are becoming more common and less expensive, but 6 to 8 megapixels should suffice unless you often crop images heavily or make them into poster-sized prints. Three or more autofocus zones is a big plus; some SLR-like cameras have just one, which forces you to recompose your shot every time your main subject moves within the frame. Spot metering, found on most large models, lets you meter on portions of the image with scalpel-like precision. With an SLR-like camera, a maximum f-number of f22 or greater is critical for shots that demand a great depth of field.

Jill

aj said:
The nikon D40x may be the way to go. I was going to go to a kansas archeology seminar in feb on how to take pictures of artifacts and stuff also. How many lens can you get by with... a couple?
We have been looking at these for a couple of months now, Circuit City currently has the D40X with the 18-55mm lens for 659.00, you can  also get the 18-135mm and 55-200mm, 70-300mm, different dealers have different lens or if you already have the lens you can purchase just the camera body.

dori36

aj said:
I found on amazon a canon digital rebel xti 10.1 mp digital slr camera with ef-s 18-55 mm f/3.5 -5.6 lens black. It is supposed to be 1400$ camera but they price it at 589$. Why so cheap? Is this a good camera. Why the discount?

I think the most important consideration is what do 'you' want the camera to do.  Are you taking pictures just for yourself and/or your program?  Will you be using the pictures for print advertising (you need higher resolution pics for print - 300 dpi) or just for the internet like a website or sending out to others over the internet (72 dpi is plenty for that)?  Knabe's comments are valid but way too deep for most to just enjoy high quality pics digitally.  The Canon he references (AE1) isn't a digital.  I know - I have one.  Great camera but a SLR that isn't digital.  I had a freelancer come out here last Spring (his request, not mine) to take pics of my Lowlines for submission to one of the small farm magazines.  He was shooting with a high end Nikon digital - I was drooling!  But, iti's way more camera than most people will ever need.  And, he sent me a disc with all the pics on (45 of 'em) and all were over 7 mgb each pic!!  Yikes, talk about clogging up the old storage on my Mac!!  You don't need such high end quality unless you're shooting for a living like he was.

So, if you're looking for a SLR in digital form, I'd consider a  Canon Rebel but I'd be  VERY wary of buying it on eBay.  You should be able to buy it at a regular camera store or a  Best Buy type place, with 8 to 10 megapixels, for around $800-$850.  You can also use Canon EOS lenses with it if you happen to have one of those.  If you're shooting for yourself and don't need a SLR and prefer a point and shoot type of camera, I've had excellent results with my Olympus.  It's an older digital model with only 3+ megapixels!  You can see some of what it has done by going to my website (www.lowlinecattle.com).  All the pics there, except the show pics, were taken with it.

In the newer cameras in the point and shoot models, there are tons of choices from the various Kodaks to the Canons, to the Olympus's, etc., etc.  I'd plan to spend a little over $200 even for an entry level camera.  If you willing to go up to $1000, you have lots and lots of choices.

bc6552

My choice is the Cannon S2 or S3 models.  I have seen some amazing quality pictures from these cameras.  I did a lot of research before I purchased the Cannon S2 about a year and half ago.  I also found a lot of good comments on the web about these models.  They are not a full digital SLR, but they do offer a large lens which becomes  important for picture quality.

dori36

bc6552 said:
My choice is the Cannon S2 or S3 models.  I have seen some amazing quality pictures from these cameras.  I did a lot of research before I purchased the Cannon S2 about a year and half ago.  I also found a lot of good comments on the web about these models.  They are not a full digital SLR, but they do offer a large lens which becomes  important for picture quality.

Canon has been my choice for years and before there ever were digital cameras. I still have my AE-1 and an early EOS film cameras that I can pull out to play with.  And, the professional who was at my farm photographing with the big Nikon digital agreed with me that the  Canon is every much as a good choice as the Nikon and that the Canon lenses, even on the smaller lower end Canons, are second to none including Nikon!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
We use our camera for selling cattle on the internet,on our web site, an you can get by with a cheap camera on the web, 2 or 3 pixel, we had one about four or five years ago, also had a bull that worked great for us since then he got killed an we had taken some good pictures but the quality was not good  enough to advertise with,not enough pixels, an since we got a  good camera , an even on the web site you can tell the difference now, but I wish I had a better picture of that bull, he's gone but we have a good supply of semen, good daughters an son;s but don;t have a real good picture.  We purchased a CANNON REBEL EO5, proably three years ago, I'm sure there are better better ones now, but Have no complaints, we gave 1500 for it with a large zoom lenses by TAMRON--75-300mm an it had a CANNON-ZOOM LENSES EF-S 18-55mm.  I never use the smaller lenses for cattle, (ONE THING YOU SHOULD KNOW IS THAT ,I  KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT digital CAMERAS, AN LESS ABOUT Typing)I use the  small lenses for family pictures an gatherings, an it does a great job. I proably take 500 pictures a year with this camera of our cattle for show , put on internet ,for cattle we sell in sales ,donor cows , an a few horse's for my wife. 1500  was a lot for a camera , but if it quits me tommorrow , I don't think it owes me a dime. Dori36 had some very good comments  on picking an using a camera  .The one gentleman knows his camera's  very well  but he is way ahead of me, I wish I knew that much.                                                                    The main thing in buying the camera is to buy for the future if you plan on selling cattle or doing more with the pictures in the future , spend a little more money.an don't be like me an wish I had. We also  download the pictures  from the computer an some times they come in real handy for advertising embryo;s an donors at sales.

aj

I was about to pull the trigger on a nikon d40x through circuit city online. They said memory card not included. Do I need a 256mb or 512m13 or 1gb memory card in your opinions. Thanks.

Jill

get the 1g, they are only about 20 and you won't be having to purchase new cards all the time

Jill

I downloaded 274 pictures from a 12.1 megapixel camera yesterday and my card wasn't full to give you some idea on capacity.

aj

On circut citys deal their memory card selection doesn't seem to have a nikon brand one. Are memory cards interchange or are there different sizes or not? Thanks.

Jill

There isn't any difference in the cards, buy the one that's the cheapest.  Just pulled up the site, they have a Sandisk 2G for 19.99, I'd go that route, it has a 30 dollar rebate right now and that's a pretty good deal, we have several of those cards and never had any problems.

JbarL

ive found cameras are like shoes....if you have more than on pair they last longer.... :D...my"camera" is an old AE1program....but we have a couple of digitals as well ...and usually have one with us all the time.....in the truck,at the barn ect....rugged and waterproof are a msut for any farm or outside conditions....i have an old rebel that i leave at the barn/in the truck ect.. ....always check to see the battery replacement costs as well....some canon/nikon( digital)  mid to  high end units have the flat cmaera battereis that can be a suprise when you go to replace them.... :p...jbarl

Jill

I ordered 2 of the cards, thanks for bringing that up, it was a really good price.  Congratulations on the new camera, let us know how you like it.

aj

I got my d40x nikon camera in. Seems to be pretty cool. Seems to be idiot proof also. It has a auto feature setting on it so it automatically focuses and flashes if need be.  I shot artifacts off 6 surface sites in doors an then tried to take pictures of my bulls. I haven't figured out how to load my computer yet. The instructions said to put silver disc(picture project 1.7 in tower which I did but nothing comes up on screen. Hope to take it out again to play with it today.

red

Something I just downloaded w/ the new computer was Adobe's Photo Shop Elements 6. It's a good program for doing little tweaks to photos, downsizing them for web posting & also organization. I really like it & may upgrade later.

Red

Latest posts