Dilutor Gene in Simmy Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chuck Wagon

Just got the Simmy papers and saw online where our heifer has the DL and OH Gene.  Is that anything to be worried about.  She is black with some red highlights..

The subject has been discussed but couldn't find whether it's something to be worried about. 

Thanks

Lucky_P

If she has the dilution gene(DL)...she should not be black; should be a diluted black...
I have them in my herd, ranging from dark charcoal through various shades of brown to silver gray.  All courtesy of a couple of (diluted) yellow & white Simmental bulls I used back in the late 1980s... that dilution gene can take a LONG time to breed out of a group of cows.

OH should not be a problem unless you breed her to an OH carrier, and even then ,it's just a 'cosmetic' defect.

b_kackley

You might think about breeding her to a red non diluted bull. She at least should throw a red calf and not a chocolate or gray. Just a thought.

Chuck Wagon

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess that eliminates the majority of bulls, because most seem to have the DL gene while looking on the Herdbook. 

What are the chances if I breed her to say, Uno Mas that has the DL Gene that we'll get a smoky calf?

Biomurph

This is my understanding of the dilution gene in simmentals although like most genetic related traits, it can be more complicated. 

The dilution allele is dominant to the normal (nondilution allele).  If your heifer has the dilution allele and one nondilution allele then she will have a 50% chance of having a diluted calf if bred to a bull who is nondiluted.  The odds go up when bred to a bull who is also diluted(the odds depend on whether they are homozygous or heterozygous). 

Interestingly enough, I have read that 80% of simmental have the dilution gene.  If that was the case, we would see more grays, light reds, etc.  Makes me think that it is either an expression issue or there is more to it than I am mentioning above.   

b_kackley

Personally I would still go red(dark) you will be more likely to get a marketable calf. In my experience a smokey color is hard to come by crossing to another Simmental. A chocolate/brown or gray is what you will usually end up with. Like LFK said a black non diluter would give you a 50/50 shot at black. I guess it would depend on what kind of calf you are looking to produce. There are a lot of options out there. Gargan on here may also be able to give some info that would be helpful.  I believe he has more experience than me with red bulls.